Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FOR SALE NOS TRW USA MADE IDLER ARM #18742

I have Five (5) NOS TRW 18742 Idler Arm(s) Available. Idler Arms are in "As New" condition with new castellated nut, heavy washer and cotter pin. No bushing on center link/stud end - Ready for your Global West Centerlink conversion, Ball Bearing kit or stock bushing. Frame mount bushing in place - may show signs of age from original manufacture. Original box shows signs of age from original manufatcture. WHY BUY FOREIGN REPRO JUNK WHEN YOU CAN GET USA MADE OEM QUALITY? Price per unit at $90.00 each plus the ride to your destination. Thanks for your interest.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
I have a few of the curved ones & a few of the GM straight ones. I have the Del-alum -bushings in mine...the straight ones are tough to find.

Thanks for the picture.

Dave
67 Nova Boy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave, please tell me the application for the straight idler arm - are they for the early model - '62 - '65 manual steering? Thanks, Sam

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Sam, The straight version was on the car originally from GM. I think the aftermarket ones do both, power and non power steering. They will work the same but some like the straight version.

I don't know if they make or made a TRW straight Idler arm>

Here is my TRW and the GM Idler arm.

Dave
67 Nova Boy

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My understanding was the early straight idler arms were for the 4 & 6 cyl cars. When they put the V-8’s in the Nova’s, GM had to use a curved idler arm to provide clearance for the steering components. They both do the same thing and the center to center lengths are also the same. The curved idler will fit all the applications and was used in production and as replacement for both.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
My 67 SS 327 4 speed had the factory straight one? Don't know what to tell you...I think they came out with the curved one to accommodate the power and non power steering cars so they only had to make one? To save money? The GM parts books says that the part number on my straight one will fit many Chevy ll...not just V-8 cars? Here is my straight one with Del- Alum bushings.

Dave
67 Nova Boy

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My 67 SS 327 4 speed had the factory straight one? Don't know what to tell you...I think they came out with the curved one to accommodate the power and non power steering cars so they only had to make one? To save money? The GM parts books says that the part number on my straight one will fit many Chevy ll...not just V-8 cars? Here is my straight one with Del- Alum bushings.

Dave
67 Nova Boy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts