Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a NOS still in the box 1bbl Rochester BV carburetor. I need to put it on my 1964 194ci manual transmission Nova.

What should I do to this carburetor before putting it on the car. All the linkage is free and the carburetor is clean as it has never been out of the box since around 1964.

Should I fill the float bowl with fuel and let it set for 24 hours, etc. before putting it on the car?

·
Super Moderator
4,089 Posts
That's a good question. Hard to know with that many years gone by, not knowing how or where it has been stored all that time.

Personally, I'd try it, being very attentive when the car is first started, and definitely with an extinguisher nearby. If you see it leak immediately, shut it down and try to find out why (likely the needle valve and seat), but it might just work correctly. Hate to take it all apart to start with, but if it works right out of the box, then great. Just verify often on the first half dozen start-ups.

The accelerator pump plunger might be OK or might have deteriorated. You'll notice that pretty quickly when stepping on the throttle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts