Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my dad picked up a 1975 nova for me.i plan to build a faster drag car then what i have right now i race a ford probe with a turbo and some other mods running 12-13psi.my ? is what will be faster on a mild built 383 a 150 shot or 8-10 psi on a 57 trim turbo? i know more about turbos as i have never use nos or been around a nos motor but i dont know how well v8's like boost i know the smaller motor and they way the vavles are they will take of boost and rpms but under stand a v8 will not rev like those little motors but how dose only 2 vavles do with boost and cam over lap leaking boost?

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
welcome to the site :)

i'd run nitrous. it's so easy it's ridiculous.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
turbo.

I too had a ford probe turbo, with the boost turned up to 14psi. for my college days, it was a bad mama jama. what year is yours.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys i was thinking boost would be better but did not know if less vavles and cam overalp would make a play in that..the probe i have is a 94 with a ebay turbo kit 550cc inj a megasquirt ecu colt turbo cams walbro 255 68mm tb.the car is full gutted no heat no ac no power streeting more less a full drag car :yes: I like the nova and i really like the part avalibity for the chevys

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
thanks guys i was thinking boost would be better but did not know if less vavles and cam overalp would make a play in that..the probe i have is a 94 with a ebay turbo kit 550cc inj a megasquirt ecu colt turbo cams walbro 255 68mm tb.the car is full gutted no heat no ac no power streeting more less a full drag car :yes: I like the nova and i really like the part avalibity for the chevys
wow, it looks like you have that probe hooked up. I had an 89 with the factory turbo. bypassed the wastegate solenoid so it could go from 6lbs to 14lbs. it was awesome. my brother had a 93 with the v6 and whenever we raced its like he was sitting still that thing was so slow.

but, if you are already knowledgeable with water injection and aftermarket efi you owe it to yourself to do it once and do it right with a turbo

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
turbo for sure. n2o cost a lot to fill turbo bolt it on and no more cost.
Costs a lot to fill??? We fill a lot of bottles and run 2 at a time and the cost isn't that much. You could fill a LOT of bottles for the cost of a good turbo setup. There's usually a lot more to turbo's than "bolt it on".

By the way, it's N2O, not NOS. NOS is a brand, not the technology.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Turbo, after the cost of putting it on the turbo is free, nitrous will still cost atleast $45 to fill the bottle every time it is empty

·
Registered
606 Posts
Setting cost aside, which is more reliable and easier to tune for? You can spend or save as much money as you want but itll do you no good if youre picking up pieces off the road.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
turbo all the way...... u have a taste of it already, imagine it in a V8....... this is a great site for this stuff. u'll be amazed @ what these guys are doing... like Camgrinder said, if E85 is available where ur @, go w/ that .... good luck w/ the build & welcome to SNS!!!!

also if ur worried about cam overlap & stuff, speak to Camgrinder.....

http://www.theturboforums.com/

JOHN

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I'm charged $1.75/pound
You're getting a killer deal; I haven't filled one in a long time, but it's about $3.50-4.75 at most places in So. Cal.---I had a deal thru a friend with a wholesale account that was $1.50 lb, but I don't think he has it now.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
This is from the Nitrous Express website:
Q. How much does it cost to get nitrous refills?
A. The cost of nitrous oxide varies with the region of the country, however a general estimate would be between $3.50-5.00 per pound.

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
Costs a lot to fill??? We fill a lot of bottles and run 2 at a time and the cost isn't that much. You could fill a LOT of bottles for the cost of a good turbo setup. There's usually a lot more to turbo's than "bolt it on".
exactly. for me at least it's easier to spend $40 every two weeks to fill up the bottle than it is to drop over a grand on a turbo, not to mention all the other stuff (boost controller, timing controller, pipe, headers/manifolds, intercooler, etc.) that would be necessary. i mean, you can put a plate on in an afternoon with some simple tools and be set up for a 250hp shot. nitrous kit: $520. bolt on.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Dont forget nitrous is not legal on the street. Also the turbo is always there ready to make power every single time you put your foot on the pedal. Not so with nitrous. Around here it is $4.50 to $5 per pound. My cousin gets 2 to 3 passes on a full bottle but he is spraying a 2 stage 500 fogger system.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You're getting a killer deal; I haven't filled one in a long time, but it's about $3.50-4.75 at most places in So. Cal.---I had a deal thru a friend with a wholesale account that was $1.50 lb, but I don't think he has it now.
It was $1.50 a pound until last year and went up to $1.75, this is actual cost per pound for nitrous in a "mother bottle".

Most speed shops/tracks pay around this, compare to what they charge you, lol.

You can buy a "mother bottle" at a welding supply place, you don't need to spend the money for a fill station either. Just have room in the freezer for the small bottles, and leave the big bottle out in the sun for a little while before filling, then two bottle nuts, a line, and a good scale is all you need. Been doing it this way for years, all ways been too "cheap" to buy a fill station, lol.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts