Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interviewing for a management position at my job. If I get it i will have to relocate to Charlotte N.C. Just like to get a heads up what it's like down there. I'm used to the very fast Pace of Philly.

What is there to do down there? I woul have to bring my Philly Sports teams with me!!:yes:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
LOL... boy are you in for a culture shock..!! For the most part, it's pretty relaxed down here. Charlotte is more fast paced than most city's in NC so you will fit in just fine... Just get used to drinking sweet iced tea!!

Welcome,

Reggie

·
Registered
689 Posts
Love it here

We moved from the Cleveland OH area in 1974 to Charlotte and absolutely love it here. Great weather, mountains and beaches relatively close and a more relaxed lifestyle. That was great for us. If you are a "Big City" fan that loves the hussle and bustle of a large city that never sleeps, you will find this area rather booring. Just don't come here with a "Yankee" chip on your shoulder telling everyone how great things are in Philly. Everyone will gladly telly to go back!

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
One thing you will find.
You will receive welcome arms.

Charlotte is a big area. Low to the ground and spread out with very busy pockets!

I would say 80% of those who work "IN CHARLOTTE"
live on the outside areas.

The housing here is a buyers market! BIG TIME.
The area has been in a boom for over 15 years. Now with the slow down (that seemed to happen here over night) brought this on. But the last 2 months home sales have gone up over 7%. (reported on the news last night) Most find that you can buy twice the home here for what homes cost else where.

As a car lover, those who come think the have found heaven with wheels! We are spoiled to the availability of parts supply and race facilities.

Everyone who comes falls in love with the school system if they have kids.

As in any city area, there are areas you do not want any part of.

Where is the business located and I can help you in a area of Charlotte might interest you.

Glade to help.
Al

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Suth'un boys take they cars right serious, huh, Al? :D
More than anyone knows.

Lot of muscle in a lot of garages around here. It's trully amazing.

AL

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
O!! I almost forgot!

things you will learn in NC!~

1. A possum is a flat animal that sleeps in the middle of the road ..

2. There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 of them live in North Carolina

3. There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 of them live in North Carolina, plus a couple no one's seen before

4. If it grows, it'll stick ya. If it crawls, it'll bite cha.

5."Onced" and "Twiced" are words

6. It is not a shopping cart , it is a buggy .

7. "Jaw-P?" means "Did y'all go to the bathroom?" (I have personal experience with this one. The kids returned from the rest-stop and this is what my wife asked them).

8. People actually grow and eat okra.

9.. "Fixinto" is one word.

10. There is no such thing as "lunch". There is only dinner and then there is supper.

11. Iced tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when you're two. We do like a little tea with our sugar

12. Backwards and forwards means "I know everything about you."

13. The word "Jeet" is actually a phrase meaning "Did you eat?"

14. You don't have to wear a watch because it doesn't matter what time it is. You work until you're done or it's too dark to see.

15. You don't PUSH buttons, you MASH them.

16. "No. Jew?" is a common response to the question "Did you bring any beer?".

YOU KNOW YOU'RE FROM NORTH CAROLINA IF:
1. You measure distance in minutes.

2. You've ever had to switch from heat to A/C in the same day.

3. All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect or animal.

4. You know what a "DAWG" is.

5. You carry jumper cables in your car .. For your OWN car.

6. You only own five spices: salt, pepper, Texas Pete, Tabasco and Ketchup.

7. The local papers cover national and international news on one page, but require 6 pages for local gossip and motorsports.

8. You think that the first day of deer season is a national holiday.

9. You find 100 degrees Fahrenheit "a bit warm".

10. You know all four seasons: Almost Summer, Summer, Still Summer and Christmas.

11. Going to Wal-Mart is a favorite past time known as "goin' Wal-Martin" or "off to Wally World" or off to "Wal-Mart's".

12. You describe the first cool snap (below 70 degrees) as good chicken stew weather

13. Fried catfish is the other white meat.

14. We don't need no dang driver's ed. If our mama says we can drive, we can drive, dag-nabbit.

15. You understand these jokes and forward them to your North Carolina friends and those who just wish they were from North Carolina.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Relocating to NC

I wish I still lived in the Charlotte area. I moved back in 2006 from Chicago, and loved every minute of it. However, I had to move to Virginia for a better job. I like Virginny, however, wish I was still in Mooresville. That brings me to my second point, if you are looking for a house that is north of Charlotte by about 25 minutes, I've got a nice one that is about a mile away from DEI (Dale Earnhardt Inc.), with one of the best school districts in the area. I also have 3 small kids. Like I said, I loved the area, and I was able to buy at least twice the house as I had in Chicago.

Looking to make a good deal to someone, and would definitely make a deal to a fellow Nova guy!!:D I just remodeled the kitchen and all baths just before, I found out my company was going to downsize.

PM me if interested I can send you the address so you can look at it online.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Charlotte is a great area! I work in Charlotte at Wachovia Securities and l live south of Charlotte in Weddington. Weddington has some of the best school systems in NC or one of the best and good thing is it is only about 10-15 minutes from the SC border. Car shows are alright here but IMO things are overpriced as far as finding old tin. I am from California so it was a big culture shock here. A lot of people from the north have moved here so you are not alone, just be prepared to take some crap from the southern people, they are stuck on some war that took place in the 1800's called the "Civil War" I believe. :D haha

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wish I still lived in the Charlotte area. I moved back in 2006 from Chicago, and loved every minute of it. However, I had to move to Virginia for a better job. I like Virginny, however, wish I was still in Mooresville. That brings me to my second point, if you are looking for a house that is north of Charlotte by about 25 minutes, I've got a nice one that is about a mile away from DEI (Dale Earnhardt Inc.), with one of the best school districts in the area. I also have 3 small kids. Like I said, I loved the area, and I was able to buy at least twice the house as I had in Chicago.

Looking to make a good deal to someone, and would definitely make a deal to a fellow Nova guy!!:D I just remodeled the kitchen and all baths just before, I found out my company was going to downsize.

PM me if interested I can send you the address so you can look at it online.
The phone interview is done. So I have my fingers crossed!!
If I get a call to be flown down for a face to face interview I will start to really think about it!!

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
yeah i agree with all of you in north carolina i went there for a vacation ( brother n law lives there ) im from california it was totaly laid back i could actually relax for once i was raised on sweet tea and nice cold ice tea beer. looked at a couple of homes in mooresville myself just wish i had the money to move i would have to find a job and all that good stuff but i definetly want to live somewhere else then california. this state makes me sick with all the b.s. thats going on i have a friend who works on david gilians car ( hes origanilly from here as well ) looks like everyone from california is moving to n.c. i justy may be one of them in the near future if things dont pick up around here :yes:

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I live in Ellenboro, NC 50 miles outside of Charlotte takes about an hour to get there from here, elem school is 1 mile from my house, mid school is 3 miles, high school is 5 miles.... we have the best teachers and schools in this area. As AL said we are spoiled and his post on things you will learn in NC is real... sounds like a joke but its real... had to learn that when I moved here... (yeah, yeah I'm a damn yankee) helps to marry one of them ... you add branches to their family twig. LOL :devil:

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
well if im going to live in your neck of the woods i might as well learn the lingo :yes: ...... i like best foods too little bit thicker

1 - 20 of 32 Posts