Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ha-ha! I was just getting caught-up on the situation in NFLD - the Avalon Peninsula/St. John's area specifically, and The Weather Network stated, "....things are getting back to normal".
Really.....??
Maybe for the big things like airports, fire depts., city offices, highways and other critical and major infrastructures but what about the little guys? The homeowner, the apartment dweller, the town drunk? Have you seen the downtown core and the outlying communities where the little people are still "carving-out" an existence? Yeah, I guess you could say, "they're used to it", forever carving-out their existence on The Rock.
Still those folks are incredibly tenacious and hardy. My touque is off (shortly, its still dammed cold here) to them.

A few years ago I learned one thing for certain......never buy a used snowblower from a Newfie!
To the people of Newfoundland/Labrador, you really are the salt of the earth.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...sum o' d'is 'ere humour musta rubbed, right? (Newf vernacular)

Until about...2003 I never met a Newfie that I could recall. After my "Mainland" Company merged with the Newfoundland version, I came to realize what a true Canadian treasure we had in these people.
Are they the backward, lazy, government-dependant lot many Mainlanders are led to believe? Not a one. Strong, resourceful, independent, clear-thinking and wonderfully practical yet held-down and gagged, is more like it.
It's history today, but to understand the people of NFLD/Lab you have to be aware of what we continue to do to them.

I think ALL Canadians should read "Danny Williams - The War with Ottawa" by Bill Rowe for the big reveal. A staggering read of what's really going on beyond the heavy wooden doors behind Parliament Hill. Be prepared to puke in disgust.
I picked-up this book a few years after reading in my local mainland paper that this insolent Mr. Williams lowered and removed the Maple Leaf (flag) on the island. Who could do such a thing!?!
Instead of the power-drained, oil-soaked, rotten-fish sandwich Newfoundland was being made to eat back then, the folks in Alberta/Saskatchewan/Manitoba are being made to eat warmed-over, oil-tinged, piped-in cow-pie from Ottawa now - but they have the advantage of numbers in their voices over Nfld., so Canada is watching.
I'll stop now.....
Thanks Utterson for the positive feedback.

·
Premium Member
3,370 Posts
I have worked with many from the Rock. They will give you the shirt off their back. They are the best.

As far as the snow- One guy I used to work with said- " have a look at the old homes and you will see a door towards the peak of the house (ouse:) ) with no stairs leading to it. That is how we used to get in and out of those houses in the peak of winter- there used to be that much snow.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have worked with many from the Rock. They will give you the shirt off their back. They are the best.

As far as the snow- One guy I used to work with said- " have a look at the old homes and you will see a door towards the peak of the house (ouse:) ) with no stairs leading to it. That is how we used to get in and out of those houses in the peak of winter- there used to be that much snow.
HAHAAH! Too funny! "Wonderfully practical"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts