Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
South Bay Area people....a portion of the De Anza Valley College parking lot in Cupertino will be closed for the autocross event. Racing begins at 9 am. They break for lunch at noon then racing continues from 12:30-4:40 pm. Hope to see some of you guys there.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Im a auto tech club lifer(former auto tech club pres 86-87) I should attend and see if any of my old classmates are there.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Had an absolute blast at the autocross!!! Can't wait for the Goodguys autocross at the end of this month. My buddy got some pics as I was going through tech but his camera took a dump just before I began racing. I'll try and get some more pics from the college.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
hopefully i can make to the Autocross @ the Goodguys & see that thing hit the autocross. how about a lil breakdown on front & rear suspension on that thing..... how'd it do @ DeAnza.....???

JOHN

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
Very cool! Nice lookin' car too!

What suspension/steering/brake setup do you have? How did the car perform?:confused:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a TCI coilover front end. I liked this front end because it had the narrowed frame rails and narrowed A-arms. It allowed me to put 17x7's with a 3 3/4 offset and 235/40/17 tires with no difficulties.

The rear suspension is a Hot Rods to Hell rear truckarm suspension with a minitub. It has a screw-in type adjustable suspension (adjustment is above the rear coil spring). The rear end is a 12 bolt posi with 3.73 gears. 17x9.5's with a 285/40/17 tire. This rear suspension flat out hooks up on the street. It did really well on the autocross too. I was very impressed with the handling of the car.

Because my buddy's camera took a dump, I don't have any pics to show you guys the way it ran on the course. I asked the De Anza college folks for info on pics/video but haven't heard back from them yet. There were lots of cameras there so hopefully someone got some footage they will share. There were only 2 Novas there. Hopefully some Norcal people will be at the Goodguys autocross and can film the event. I am also going to try and mount a camera somewhere on the car too. The fastest time at the autocross was about a 48 second run, two laps combined. That was a small Datsun 510 with slicks and totally fabbed out. The older muscle cars were running about high 50 to low 60 seconds for two laps. I managed a 62 second run. These are some older suspension pics.... Also check out http://www.hotrodstohell.net/index.htm They were in Burbank, Ca but moved to Anderson, Ca a couple years ago.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
so that TruckArm setup..... is it what they it is.....???? the whole ride like a caddy & handle like a slot car thing..... and how much does car weigh now????

JOHN

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good news, I found some pics of my car on the course and ordered them yesterday. I'll scan them and post them. The car weighs 3125 lbs with me in it and a full tank of gas.

It does ride very well and handles great!! It hooks up different than any other car I have ever driven. My brother had a 72 Chevelle with an old school ladder bar setup. I've also driven a Pro Street 69 Chevelle with coil over shocks with a 4 link setup and various other leaf spring cars with ladder bars. I've never driven a Caltrac rearend setup though. The others have hooked up well, but the truckarm setup, in my opinion, is way better. Maybe because I have more $$$ invested in it (hahahhaaa). I think I can get more bang for my buck with some better street tires too. My next set might be the Nitto 05's or the Goodyear F1's for the street and drag radials for the strip.

When I built the car I threw most of my budget into the suspension/brakes and tire combo, preparing myself for more horsepower down the road. As we all know, the original suspension doesn't handle that well and CPP and other companies have come out with some cool stuff. The LT1 was used and mostly stock, but I plan on building something with a lot more power. LS1's weren't as popular 5 years ago when I started the build. I would definetely go with an LS1 over an LT1 today, but I have $$$ invested in the LT1 setup and know the potential for more power is there. For now, I'm gonna drive hard and fast!!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are two photos that I was able to locate on a forum. These are the only pics I could find....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts