Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Car was originally a straight-6. Was converted to 350 before we got it. Decided it was time for the hobby to car to get a new engine, but have opted for a big block. Car is still running/driving just fine on the well worn 350, and the 454 has been sourced. I've got it just about all torn down and ready to go to the machine shop. The 454 has been apart, at least once, and the crank has been turned 20 over. The cylinders have been bored 30 over. My original plan was just to clean up the cylinders and change out the rods/pistons, but since the crank has been turned 20 over, I'm opting to replace it... and since I'm replacing it I've decided to go with a stroker kit and bore it 60 over (if the machine shop gives the ok) and stroke it to 4.25" and put some slightly domed pistons in. Going with an Eagle crank and rods and Probe forged pistons with an 18cc dome on them.

It's a 2-bolt, 361959 block and I'm going with 781 heads on it, going to put bigger valves in them. Also going to use ARP main studs instead of bolts on the bottom end, along with a line-hone.

I am, as of yet, undecided on a cam, intake and carb setup, though, and would love some input... as well as any general commentary and/or suggestions or tips for the swap, as I've never attempted a swap, or an engine rebuild.

Anyway, on to the pics...

The car when we got it:

The engine where I "found" it:

The engine partially taken apart and in its new spot in the garage:

about to come apart:

bottom end:

top end:

the clean cylinder is the one that had the broken intake pushrod - hence it being so clean - my guess is the pushrod let go pretty shortly after the rebuild...

the other side, got some water in it from sitting outside:

more or less how it sits in the garage currently:

Thanks for looking and for the feedback... and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Going big block?$$$ there are lots of threads on here about this.. 1st decide what you want the car for daily driver, track or both?? Then we can get into combos.. Off the bat transmission crossmember and frame mounts will have to be changed. you can use any resto site or ss396.com.. Cam selection when we get there is gonna be highly debatable. and most likely said and done will be all on you...you'll prob hear Comp Cam:D or Lunati:rolleyes:

good luck!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Going big block?$$$ there are lots of threads on here about this.. 1st decide what you want the car for daily driver, track or both?? Then we can get into combos.. Off the bat transmission crossmember and frame mounts will have to be changed. you can use any resto site or ss396.com.. Cam selection when we get there is gonna be highly debatable. and most likely said and done will be all on you...you'll prob hear Comp Cam:D or Lunati:rolleyes:

good luck!!!
Intent is to use it as a driver, maybe a few passes at the track, just to see what it'll do, but that's it. Probably talking a single trip to the track, if even that. I'll be sure to check out the SS396 site... Was thinking about going Edelbrock performer RPM cam, lifters and springs... Certainly far from decided on that, though - my machine guy said he's done machine work for a couple folks in the last year with big blocks and they've used, and liked, the performer RPM for the street... I've done a good bit of reading on cams and a lot of it seems to come down to car/engine specific set up and/or personal preference. The thing that seems consistent is, it's pretty inconsistent ;-)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts