Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
It all depends on the buyer. I don't place any higher value on it unless it has the born with drivetrain in it, but alot of collectors will put a higher value on cars with a corrrectly date coded drivetrain. In other words, if the casting dates on al the parts are in order so that they could of been in your car, then they'll accept those. Alot of restores will buy date coded parts and change teh stampings on them. I don't agree with this, but it happens, and some consider this as just part of a restoration. Now a properly coded engine block with the right casting number that is a CE (Servive replacement) can add some value IMO.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Depends on the years

In the earlier years the VIN did not necessarily match to numbers on an engine block but the letter codes and in the case of novas, casting number did match. The matching of numbers is really only of value to true detailed restorations. With the exception of highly collectible Novas like Yenko's, big blocks, 65 327 cars and L-79's the "correct" drive train would only be worth a little, and possibly a detriment if it is a 6-cyl car! In my case for example, my car has the original 6-cyl and is restored to the nines. I also have a complete correct 65 Nova 283 motor. I think my car could probably sell for more with the V-8 even though it didn't come that way. I feel that unless you have some documentation to support that the car was unique, the cost of tracking down all date-coded and correct parts is probably not worth it if money is your goal. It is fun as a project but I doubt there would be a big reward at the end to pay it back.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
It's not always worth the effort, but I keep my eyes open for correct dated parts and if they're reasonably priced I buy them. CE coded engine, water pump, intake, exhaust manifolds, alternator, and bell housing are some of the dated or numbers parts I found for my L78 non #'s car. It will help the value too!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts