Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to ask this here, but cant think of any other place for good sound advice.
My GF's 91 blazer for the past few days has been dying on her while stopped. My first thought was oil pressure (as I've had a car before that died when the oil pressure dropped to low) so we check the oil, quart low, filled it up. Oil pressure was sitting at 20psi at idle, 30psi at throttle. Sounds low to me, since 40-60 seems to be the operating range in most vehicles i've driven. So i suggest maybe an oil pump.
Today the car dies and wont fire back up.
I know it can be a ton of different things, and i figured I'd ask so i know what i could start eliminating tomarrow.
The car cranks, but nothing else.
So far im probably going to check fuel filter first... Good thing is I have a old brand new fuel filter from my dads 94 blazer that never got put on for some reason.
Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
438 Posts
I was going to say possibly the idle air control valve until you said it now won't start at all. Did it set any codes?

According to this you should have 12-13 psi fuel pressure: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Chevrolet-Repair-808/1991-Chevy-S10-Blazer.htm
This is a throttle body injection vehicle correct?

After fuel (or before), the next test should be for spark. The best way to do that is to get a spark tester (looks like a spark plug with an alligator clip), it will put a load on your ignition system similar to what it deals with under cylinder pressure. Plus its a handy tool to have around, you'll use it on everything.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man to diagnose an auto problem is a pain!!!
It is throttle body.
I havent personally tried cranking it over, it was getting dropped off as I was leaving for work, so tomarrow ill try turning it over and see what happens.
Just figured I'd post here before i dug my incapable hands inside the engine!
Thanks for the reply :D

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
did the engine service soon light come on? did you connect the 2 ECM terminals to see if there any codes ? also check for spark. if the ignition control module went bad, you wont get any spark.....

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When i put oil in it the other day (thinking oil pressure had to do with it) no lights came on, not to say the dummy lights dont work, but nothing lit up at all.
Ill test the stuff out tomarrow, but in the mean time i'll just hope its nothing serious, or something easy to fix :) but you know how that goes! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, not enough time to do much of anything today before work, but i did get it fired up. It ran for 5 mins or so, and died, it ran fine, no sputtering spitting, or anything, normal 5 mins of idling.
then it died out of nowhere, no warning, no dummy light, no nothing.
So i try cranking it over, no fire, but it is cranking. After a few times of cranking i gave it a break and notices fluid below the exhaust pipe, it smelt kinda like sweet burnt rubber? not sure about that one.
But I decided to pull a spark plug real quick, and they are bad, corosion, im not sure when the last time they were changed but seems a while!

I was kinda wondering how to tell if you've gotten a blown head gasket? Cause initially i was thinking antifreeze was getting into combustion chamber, pushed out through exhaust valves, and out exhaust, maybe that being that sweet burnt rubber smell? Or am i thinking wrong about the travel of antifreeze?

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to take off the EGR valve and clean the carbon out as best you can.

The exhaust fluid is probably normal condensation but I'm not aware of it having any particular odor.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you find we're no help there is a Blazer forum you could try.

http://www.blazerforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7
No believe me you guys are a help!!! Out of every forum i've browsed through you guys seem to be the most knowledgable when it comes to engines!
I just for some reason think the plugs are getting wet, or some electical connection to the plugs are getting wet, though the plug wires are in good shape with no cuts gashes or exposed wires. I think that because it'll run for a few minutes and die all of a sudden, then it wont fire back up unless you let it set for 20 mins or so (thats where i think the plugs get dried and able to spark again?)

I will check through the blazer forum, thanks so much for posting it!!!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Figured I'd give an update...
Fuel pump works, Fuel filter works.
Ignition coil works, pulled plug to test for spark, works. After cranking for a while, the spark was still going but wasnt starting up... If it has fuel, spark, air, all it needs is compression right?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was incorrect on the year... 93 blazer 4.3 CPI 6Cyl.
After spending to much time its off at the repair shop getting tested 70-140 dollars to test! Its my GF's decision so she gets her way, and i get the day to cuss at the nova.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Did she fill up with gas right before all this started. I had a similar problem with my vehicle not wanting to run after getting gas, for some reason I don't alway fill up. I went to another gas station and filled up and was better until I got all the bad gas out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts