Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Comp Cams Roller Cam in my Nova's 454 (Thumper Cam Kit CCA-K11-600-8). Rocker arms are Comp Ultra Pro Magnum. When motor was initially rebuilt it ran nice and quiet (for a roller cam based engine). Now it's noisy as hell but only on one side of the block. I've had two really good mechanics adjust the rockers in attempt to reduce the noise with no luck at all. The first mechanic even replaced the lifters/rocker arms but this did not help either. Still loud on the same side of the motor.

Does any one have an idea what I should check next?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
No problem getting oil on that side of the motor. It pumped at least a quart or more out while my mechanic was adjusting them today.
Are they adjusting the valves with the engine running. It is a lot easier to adjust the valves without the engine running. When the exhaust valve starts to open adjust the intake valve. When the intake valve opens all the way and starts to close adjust the exhaust valve. Roller stuff is going to make more noise. There is a price to pay for added performance. Some companies stuff does tend to be louder. Are you dead sure you aren't hearing a exhaust leak instead of valve train noise. Personally I have a terrible time with poly locks. Anytime I have a roller camshaft and rockers I run a stud girdle. They aren't that expensive and my valve lash doesn't move. It also adds support to the rocker system.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are they adjusting the valves with the engine running. It is a lot easier to adjust the valves without the engine running. When the exhaust valve starts to open adjust the intake valve. When the intake valve opens all the way and starts to close adjust the exhaust valve. Roller stuff is going to make more noise. There is a price to pay for added performance. Some companies stuff does tend to be louder. Are you dead sure you aren't hearing a exhaust leak instead of valve train noise. Personally I have a terrible time with poly locks. Anytime I have a roller camshaft and rockers I run a stud girdle. They aren't that expensive and my valve lash doesn't move. It also adds support to the rocker system.
The mechanic adjusted them with the engine running initially. When that didn't seem to decrease the noise he adjusted them without the engine running using the methodology you described. Same result.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
What valve covers are you using? I’ve seen a few cases where the bigger bodied roller rockers will touch the valve cover and make noise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts