Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the car is in park and I start the car and rev it, I get a noise from what I thought was the alternator belt slipping. It doesn't take much to get the noise. I tightened the belt and it still makes the sound. Any ideas on things I could check?

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
are you sure its the belt? sounds like it streched to its limit :yes: looks like you need a new belt :yes: i was going to be funny and say " that happens when you rev it high the motor tends to make a little noise or music if you know what i mean " :devil:

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
bearing in the alternator.:eek:

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Check your pulley alignment.

·
Registered
488 Posts
How many belts? If more than one, remove one by one and see if the noise goes away. Or spray the belt with wd40 if you don't want to take it off. But id rather take it off since you wanna check the alternator, water pump and power steering bearings anyway.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The alt belt is still almost brand new, since I haven't really driven the car this year, the belt was purchased not long ago{I have 2 belts). The alternator is brand new, chrome alternator from summit, purchased in April. When I first installed the alt everything was good, it seems this noise has just popped up recently, but can't say for sure where its coming from. Will check pulleys and such.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts