Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help. 67 nova won't charge?? New alternator, all wiring is good but no charge. Could it be the regulator on the core support?

Thanks
Stan

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Need some help. 67 nova won't charge?? New alternator, all wiring is good but no charge. Could it be the regulator on the core support?

Thanks
Stan
You have an alternator with a stand alone regulator? I thought alternators had regulators built into them? Why would you need a stand alone regulator?

John

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be honest, I'm not sure but has one just to the left of the radiator. Troy just put a brand new polished alternator right before I got the car. Also when I remove the jumper cables the car just dies? Thats telling me that the cars not charging.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
my car still has an exturnal voltage regulator, it has never been converted to an altenator with an internal voltage regulator. i picked up a new one today, hopefully it works

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Need some help. 67 nova won't charge?? New alternator, all wiring is good but no charge. Could it be the regulator on the core support? Stan replace the regulator and charge the battery. A stone dead battery makes the alternator overcharge which is not for the alt. The battery may also be shot if its that dead. RICK

Thanks
Stan
Stan replace the regulator and charge the battery. A stone dead battery makes the alternator overcharge which is not good for the alt. The battery may also be shot if its that dead. RICK

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stan replace the regulator and charge the battery. A stone dead battery makes the alternator overcharge which is not good for the alt. The battery may also be shot if its that dead. RICK
That's what I'm thinking too. I tried putting a charger on it but no go. It spikes my charger and shuts off. So I assume that the battery shot. At least he has a spare one!

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
The charging system might be ok. Install the batery and check to see if the system is charging after you replace the battery. RICK

·
Registered
810 Posts
Id try a new battery too as it may be shot or shorted.But check the alternator to make sure it is the correct one. Has your car been converted to run a single wire internal regulated alternator? If not and its set up still for the external alternator it will never charge with a internal regulated alternator. Id bet money that new alt is internal regulated.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Easy way to tell if it is internal or externally regulated is the configuration of the 2 wire plug.

- - is internal

| | is external
We'll try a battery first. The altenator is a exteranal style. You also just taught me something!! Thank you Sir!!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wiring has to be in question then, check for blown fuse link.
Yup you was right!! It was in the linked fuse wire but the link didnt blow. The wire was basically broke in half. All fixed now!! I think were gonna take it to a cruise in tonight.

Again thanks for the replies!!
Stan

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Yup you was right!! It was in the linked fuse wire but the link didnt blow. The wire was basically broke in half. All fixed now!! I think were gonna take it to a cruise in tonight.

Again thanks for the replies!!
Stan
I see smoke coming off the rear tires in your future.....:devil:

John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts