Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been asked before but on here. For some reason I've lost my taillights and marker lights. The dash lights work as well as the dome. Fuse appears to be ok. Scratching my head here!
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You're probably going to need a test light and/or a multimeter to run this down. Both are inexpensive tools that are great to have in the toolbox. You also probably need one of the assembly books that shows the wiring diagrams so you know which wires to check.

This is a process of elimination...

Start with the basics - verify with absolute certainty that your bulbs are good. I thought I had a problem with my marker lights at one point and found that 3 of the bulbs were bad and the 4th bulb wasn't seated properly.

Next, with either a test light or multimeter, make sure you're getting power at the light sockets. If not, you may either have corrosion in the socket(s) or you may have a problem further up the line.

There's a connector near the tail lights on the driver side under some trim. Pull the connector apart and make sure you have power to the tail lights and rear markers there. If not, you may have a corroded connector or the problem may be further up the line.

There's another connector on the driver side up under the dash kind of between the steering column and the e-brake assembly. You need to check that you have power there. If not, the connector could be corroded, or you have a problem on up the line.

If you still haven't nailed it, you may have a bad headlight switch. These are a royal pain in the neck to replace, but at least they're not too expensive. You'll need to check and make sure power is coming out of the switch.

At this point, you should have found the problem. If not, plead with Custom Jim on this forum to help you. He can fix anything. :)

·
6,502 Posts
At this point, you should have found the problem. If not, plead with Custom Jim on this forum to help you. He can fix anything. :)
Even I cannot fix everything BUT I can give guidance on things I have come across through the years. :D

I will say the more one can give as far as what is going on, the better. I recently was trying to help a guy on a Camaro site and myself and others were helping the best we could only to find out after numerous posts and things to try he then blurts out he had LED lights. Things like that would have been nice to know from the get go. I also had to ask this Camaro owner what year and make car he was having his issues with.

Yep, a decent meter can show a lot of things and is a good tool to have working with electrical systems. Good wiring diagrams are also important.

One has to keep in mind that things might appear to be fine like fuses, but this doesn't tell one a whole, whole lot.

If the OP can, expand on what year, make and model car you are having issues with as well as anything else that might help out like, it has LED lights, the wiring is pristine or hacked up, and so on and then if needed be able to supply decent resolution pictures of things like questionable light sockets, wiring, and fuse blocks.

Jim

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
GROUNDS..
My front parking/signals did not work when I got my 64. The wire going into the sockets were broken off on both fixtures. I replaced that and had intermittent operation until a secured the fixtures with a good ground path to the chassis. My housings are secured through the aluminium trim, the fixture, and finally to the core support.
I suspect you’ve lost ground somewhere along the way..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have power at the lights?
You're probably going to need a test light and/or a multimeter to run this down. Both are inexpensive tools that are great to have in the toolbox. You also probably need one of the assembly books that shows the wiring diagrams so you know which wires to check.

This is a process of elimination...

Start with the basics - verify with absolute certainty that your bulbs are good. I thought I had a problem with my marker lights at one point and found that 3 of the bulbs were bad and the 4th bulb wasn't seated properly.

Next, with either a test light or multimeter, make sure you're getting power at the light sockets. If not, you may either have corrosion in the socket(s) or you may have a problem further up the line.

There's a connector near the tail lights on the driver side under some trim. Pull the connector apart and make sure you have power to the tail lights and rear markers there. If not, you may have a corroded connector or the problem may be further up the line.

There's another connector on the driver side up under the dash kind of between the steering column and the e-brake assembly. You need to check that you have power there. If not, the connector could be corroded, or you have a problem on up the line.

If you still haven't nailed it, you may have a bad headlight switch. These are a royal pain in the neck to replace, but at least they're not too expensive. You'll need to check and make sure power is coming out of the switch.

Went out and bought all new bulbs today, gonna try your process of elimination. Hoping I can get this figured out soon. Finally starting to get nice out! Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Even I cannot fix everything BUT I can give guidance on things I have come across through the years. :D

I will say the more one can give as far as what is going on, the better. I recently was trying to help a guy on a Camaro site and myself and others were helping the best we could only to find out after numerous posts and things to try he then blurts out he had LED lights. Things like that would have been nice to know from the get go. I also had to ask this Camaro owner what year and make car he was having his issues with.

Yep, a decent meter can show a lot of things and is a good tool to have working with electrical systems. Good wiring diagrams are also important.

One has to keep in mind that things might appear to be fine like fuses, but this doesn't tell one a whole, whole lot.

If the OP can, expand on what year, make and model car you are having issues with as well as anything else that might help out like, it has LED lights, the wiring is pristine or hacked up, and so on and then if needed be able to supply decent resolution pictures of things like questionable light sockets, wiring, and fuse blocks.

Jim
Thanks in advance Jim!
It's a 1970 base model . Bought new bulbs today and gonna start there. Wiring seems to be in decent condition with a few snipped wires here and there under the hood. Light were working last fall but noticed that just before putting her away for the winter they were out. Gonna try new sockets next then the switch itself.

·
6,502 Posts
This has probably been asked before but on here. For some reason I've lost my taillights and marker lights. The dash lights work as well as the dome. Fuse appears to be ok. Scratching my head here!
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Just to try and nail things down is we all sometimes call things a little differently and I just want to clarify things.

You said you lost the taillights. Did you loose the turn signal lights in the rear, the brake lights in the rear, and/or the running/parking lights in the rear ?

On the marker lights, I call them parking lights if they are the ones on the sides of the car as well as ones in the front bumper or grill and rear taillight housings. Are the sides, front and rear all out ?.

With the dash lights working, are you talking about the illumination lights that dim when the headlight knob is twisted and the headlight knob pulled halfway out or fully out ? Or are you saying the dash lights work and you are referring to the lights for oil, temp, battery, brake ?.

Like I said, I just wanted to clarify things to help keep things on track.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts