Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I had my car out tonight on a cruise a lot of stop & go traffic for about 45 mins.
I shut the car off to take a break & when tried to restart nothing happened totally dead? This has never happened, I waited about 30-40 mins let it cooled down & it restarted right up? Its a 69 396 4spd
any ideas it actually did it once earlier in the day just for a min.
thanks Brian

·
Registered
9,993 Posts
The least expensive first try at a fix is to add a standard 30A Bosch relay into the solenoid circuit. This will provide full battery voltage to your solenoid and should alleviate the problem.

·
Registered
878 Posts
The least expensive first try at a fix is to add a standard 30A Bosch relay into the solenoid circuit. This will provide full battery voltage to your solenoid and should alleviate the problem.

Mike, I'm well aware of the "old Ford solenoid trick", even wired a few but I'm at a loss to understand how the Bosch relay helps/changes anything.
Please explain.
Thx

·
Registered
9,993 Posts
Mike, I'm well aware of the "old Ford solenoid trick", even wired a few but I'm at a loss to understand how the Bosch relay helps/changes anything.
Please explain.
Thx
The Bosch relay functions exactly the same as the Ford relay, it just occupies a lot less space. The definition of a relay is a device that uses a small amount of current to control a larger amount of current. The solenoid on your starter is also a relay that switches the full current for the starter motor.
If you look at the current path for the stock starting system, the 12v is applied through the ignition switch, the neutral safety switch then on to the starter solenoid through the associated wiring. This is a fairly long current path and with time, heat and use the connections get less and less effective. At some point the current applied through this loop is insufficient to pull in the starter solenoid, resulting in a no start situation. It takes a few amps to pull the solenoid into position to activate the starter.
Adding the Bosch relay provides full voltage to the starter solenoid through a single set of contacts and is easily triggered by the stock starter circuit. The average Bosch relay pulls in with about 160 milliamps and will switch 30 amps.

·
Registered
214 Posts
look for loose grounds or bad connections before spending money Make sure you are not grounded on a painted surface ie: the block or bracket Check the fusible links i've seen them melt when hot and join together when cooled. All things that cost nothing but 30-60 minutes to check Good luck let us know how you make out

·
Registered
277 Posts
100% heat soak problem..VERY common..change the starter to a high torque mini-starter. Problem will disappear..That starter lives in a VERY hot atmosphere...Don't waste your money on divorced solenoids or starter wrap, just get a mini-stater.. Mine cost $139 6 years ago, and the car has always started. Never looked back.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I had that issue years ago with my 396 '71 Nova and I bought a lighter solenoid spring from GM. I wish I could remember the part number. Also, I wrapped the solenoid/starter with a fiberglass heat shield. Both were cheap and easy. My new Nova has a mini-starter which also seems to do the job and is much easier to get in/out and work around, so add me to the mini-starter advocates.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts