Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a no spark problem with my new motor. It's an HEI coil in cap style distributor that was known to work, also has a fresh coil. I have a constant power supply with the key on to the small connector from the wiring harness to the cap. The control module was tested and is good. The cap/rotor are in fair condition.

Looking through the wiring diagrams I noticed that a wire goes to the starter from the coil. Reading through this site I see that it's said this wire transmits 12V to the coil on starting, however I'm unsure if this is a points only thing or if I need it for my HEI setup.

There is a third wire down at the starter, it has a constant power supply with the key on (tested with lightbulb style tester). I did not attach it and the starter works.

Can someone please clarify for me the coil to starter wire and what the constant wire at the starter does? I really want to get this beast running :)

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
The best bet is to run a wire from the ignition powered accessory in the fuse box to the dist.

The factory ignition power wire is a resistor wire. If you use this power, the wire itself from the firewall must be replaced with non- resistor wire.

The wire from the starter to the coil is a start bypass, it's a good idea to use this also.

AL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts