Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I have a crank but no spark issue on my 72 250 and I can’t figure it out. I am getting power to the coil but when I put a spark plug in the coil to distributor wire I have no spark. my points and condesor are good my cap and rotor are good my coil is good what am I missing?
It was running completely fine and out of no it just won’t start

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
5,211 Posts
Hi Shane ...............

If you are still "using the points & condenser " system ................ CHECK on Your Starter = Solenoid
" R " terminal wire .

That wire goes from " R " terminal up to your ign 'coil' ...................... for full 12 volt to u'r coil ------------------------------------------- for easier starting .

Too TEST - - just hook up a Jumper-wire onto the R terminal - and hook that wire to the + side of
the coil .
Try starting : if that works (with the "jumper-wire" ) ................ there's your problem .

........... the R wire , may have a broken wire end terminal or not hooked up . ............

let us know .......... (y) .

later , jim

Reactions: exotec

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Shane ...............

If you are still "using the points & condenser " system ................ CHECK on Your Starter = Solenoid
" R " terminal wire .

That wire goes from " R " terminal up to your ign 'coil' ...................... for full 12 volt to u'r coil ------------------------------------------- for easier starting .

Too TEST - - just hook up a Jumper-wire onto the R terminal - and hook that wire to the + side of
the coil .
Try starting : if that works (with the "jumper-wire" ) ................ there's your problem .

........... the R wire , may have a broken wire end terminal or not hooked up . ............

let us know .......... (y) .

later , jim
So I do have 12volts to the coil when ignition is on
But I checked my starte and I only have an S terminal no R

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
If you have power at the coil (Plus side and Power coming off the Neg. to Dist.) But No spark Then more then Likely the coil is bad. Or the points are not working, check to be sure they have not worn down . The condenser can also be your problem.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have power at the coil (Plus side and Power coming off the Neg. to Dist.) But No spark Then more then Likely the coil is bad. Or the points are not working, check to be sure they have not worn down . The condenser can also be your problem.
So the points are good and I replaced the condenser
As for the coil I actually have two a brand new one and a used one I have tested both with a multimeter and both seem good but every time I try something I try it with both of them to be sure that is not the issue. I have checked the cap and rotor as well.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been messing with this for a couple weeks now and I am completely out of ideas
At this point I am considering replacing the whole system with a hei distributor what do you guys think?

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,874 Posts
So I do have 12volts to the coil when ignition is on
With a points distributor, shouldn't you have a resistor wire powering the + side of the coil... and only have about 9 volts feeding the + side of the coil with the ignition on.

How long have these points been in the distributor?... possibly worn out due to the higher voltage?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With a points distributor, shouldn't you have a resistor wire powering the + side of the coil... and only have about 9 volts feeding the + side of the coil with the ignition on.

How long have these points been in the distributor?... possibly worn out due to the higher voltage?
Probably about 6 months but I only drive the car about once a month

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,449 Posts

1.8 ohm wire for an I6

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Well ............. for "trouble-shooting" ..................... hook up a "HOT Wire" ................ and skip everything
else .
Just a straight "jumper wire" , from your + battery straight too the + on your coil ................ & start it .

That would 'remove any bad wiring issues' , or maybe a broken wire , somewhere ; if it will start (with a HOT WIRE) . (make sure you "remove that jumper wire" - - when u'r done ) .

just thinking out - loud .

. . . jim

Reactions: J Mark

·
Registered
15 Posts
At the risk of appearing stupid...is the distributor shaft turning? I remember some early sixes used a fiber camshaft gear and a few of those I saw lost chunks of teeth and suddenly quit running cause the cam wasnt turning.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
At the risk of appearing stupid...is the distributor shaft turning? I remember some early sixes used a fiber camshaft gear and a few of those I saw lost chunks of teeth and suddenly quit running cause the cam wasnt turning.
good point ................... "dam Fiber gear" .................

jim

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Your right, I didn't even think about it I guess I should have re read it a few more times because the gear could have broken the teeth just as it shut off . And this would have been the reason to the NO re start.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’m not saying that’s your issue with the car, but I was a Chevy parts guy/manager for a long time and I sold more than a few of those fiber cam gears...and later their metal replacements...much like the old nylon coated cam gears on the small blocks ( which also lost chunks) it was done by GM to make the engines quieter...well...it worked for that...until they got completely “ quiet” 😬...and it’s easy to check, take off the cap and crank the motor..or stick a stethoscope on the timing cover while someone else hits the key...the fiber gears also had the quirk that sometimes the fiber part broke free from the metal hub section...also made for problems...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts