Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Tried to fire up my engine for the first time tonight. I have no spark coming out of my coil.

Im running a Mallory Unilite distributor with a Mallory Pro Coil. I hooked up the distributor just how it says it should be. 12v power to the ignition coil and to the resistor, and from the other side of the resistor to the red wire on the distributor. Green wire from distributor goes to coil negative and brown wire to ground.

While the key is on I have power at the Coil + terminal, and while cranking the engine over and using a test light, I get a faint flicking light on the Coil -

Please help, Im not sure what else to do.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think i got it figured out. Looked at a actual Mallory wiring diagram and not one the guy drew for me at the local speed shop.

As I have it now, the Coil has full 12v and the distributor is getting the other side of the resistor voltage, which is probably low.

My distributor is supposed to get the full 12v and the coil is supposed to get the resistor. Will have to try it tomorrow afternoon. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Just an FYI, the modules in the Unilites are very sensitive to voltage spikes. I normally disconnect the distributor while doing anything that may cause a spike.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies guys. I performed the test on the module and found it was bad. Put in a E-Spark module and it fired right up!

I have a brand new Mallory resistor and wiring harness wired up just like the instructions and all is good now. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts