Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on a 70 nova with a 327, carb spring broke so i thought while am at it why not put a tune up on it....that was my first mistake. Well after new spring, points, cap, rotor and plugs car does not start, check spark from coil nothing, buy new coil still does not start. Still acting like no spark from coil remember car ran just prior do doing all this. No new wires were installed and was pulled off one by one, wires only 3 months old. It always seems like these old cars just don't like to be messed with.
Any help?:confused: thanks Harley

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Is the point gap set correctly? If it was set with a feeler gauge did it have any oil on the feeler gauge that could have gotten on the points? Is there any possibility that the wire fron the coil to the distributor has bad insulation and is grounded to the distributor body. Any or all of these will prevent it from starting.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Harley,
I had a 73 4 door back a long time ago that would run than not run than run. I always thought it was the points. Well I was close. One day it broke down on a busy street and would not start. I looked at the points through the little window. I noticed the wire to the points was messed up at the connector. Take a look at that wire. Also, if you do not have a feeler gauge. You can use a matchbook cover. The distance is really close. I would always play with the points through the little window with an allen wrench until I liked the way it ran.

good luck,
novamaniac

Bob

It was nice to meet you at John's

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wskaiser said:
Is the point gap set correctly? If it was set with a feeler gauge did it have any oil on the feeler gauge that could have gotten on the points? Is there any possibility that the wire fron the coil to the distributor has bad insulation and is grounded to the distributor body. Any or all of these will prevent it from starting.
Thanks for getting back wskaiser, the points usally come set so you can @ least start the car then i would use a dwell meter to fine tune them. So i guess the answer to your question is no they were not set with a feeler gauge. The wires are all only 3 months old and remember the car ran just prior to starting his project. I just don't understand why when i pull the coil wire off and ground near engine and crank over i don't see a spark.
any ideas thanks Harley. :confused:

·
6,501 Posts
Here's something to try. Disconnect the wire off of the negative side of the coil that goes to the distributor and then take a jumper wire with the alligator clip ends and connect one end of the wire to the negative post on the coil. Now take the coil wire out of the distributor and place it close to a bare metal spot on the car. Turn the ignition on and tap the other end of the jumper wire with the alligator clip quickly against a ground. Do this tapping like a woodpecker would do on a tree and if the coil is working you should see a spark.
All you are doing here is manually triggering the coil with the jumper wire and acting like the points in the distributor are opening and closing.

If this works then maybe the wire has broke internally just from movement of things. It's also possible the cap or rotor has a problem ?.

Jim

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Custom Jim said:
Here's something to try. Disconnect the wire off of the negative side of the coil that goes to the distributor and then take a jumper wire with the alligator clip ends and connect one end of the wire to the negative post on the coil. Now take the coil wire out of the distributor and place it close to a bare metal spot on the car. Turn the ignition on and tap the other end of the jumper wire with the alligator clip quickly against a ground. Do this tapping like a woodpecker would do on a tree and if the coil is working you should see a spark.
All you are doing here is manually triggering the coil with the jumper wire and acting like the points in the distributor are opening and closing.

If this works then maybe the wire has broke internally just from movement of things. It's also possible the cap or rotor has a problem ?.

Jim
Good tip Jim, i tryed this and yes i do have spark now have to figure out why with a brand new cap rotor and points it does not fire just steady cranks. I do have the old cap and rotor i guess I'll throw them back on and see what happens, can't find the points...in the bottom of the trash can not going there too much shi### in there!
Thanks, Harley

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK i have spark from the coil also tryed dwell meter while cranking over with no luck. pulled number one plug no spark could the new points be bad, even put the old cap and rotor back still nothing. Car ran just prior to the tune up all i did was put a new throttle spring, cap, rotor, points and plugs in and now nothing what gives....:confused: :confused:
Any help would be appreciated thanks Harley.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Are you sure the points are opening and closing when you crank it? If they are then I would say the wire from the coil to the distributor probably has a worn place in the insulation where it enters the distributor or where the vacuum advance linkage rotates the points plate and is grounding out. Also don't assume that the points come factory set close enough to start to allow you to then set with a dwell meter. Make sure they actually open and close. The gap should be about .019

·
6,501 Posts
Ok, try this now (a similiar test with the jumper wire and a spark plug off of the coil).
Bump the motor over until the points are open or disconnect the wire secured to the points that goes to the negative side of the coil and then connect a jumper wire at this wires end at the points, turn on the ignition and tap the other end of the jumper to ground. If it trigger's the coil then it has to be the points. I really doubt the distibutor became ungrounded BUT you never know. If it doesn't trigger then there may be a short in this wire from the coil negative to the points themselves.

Do the replacement or the other points have a screw terminal on them to secure the wire to the points assembly or is it one that just slides under a tab ?.

Jim

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Custom Jim said:
Ok, try this now (a similiar test with the jumper wire and a spark plug off of the coil).
Bump the motor over until the points are open or disconnect the wire secured to the points that goes to the negative side of the coil and then connect a jumper wire at this wires end at the points, turn on the ignition and tap the other end of the jumper to ground. If it trigger's the coil then it has to be the points. I really doubt the distibutor became ungrounded BUT you never know. If it doesn't trigger then there may be a short in this wire from the coil negative to the points themselves.

Do the replacement or the other points have a screw terminal on them to secure the wire to the points assembly or is it one that just slides under a tab ?.

Jim
Jim i tryed what you recommended and yes it triggered the coil, with that off to parts store i go for another set of points. Also i checked with a test light to see if the power was running throught the base of the distributor it was not, and yes they are the screw type terminal to secure the wire on.

Thanks for the help I'll let you know what happens
your answers are always the best, Harley.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no spark from coil update

Just would like to say thanks for everyones input to my problem, turns out to be the points were defective, put a another new set in and the old girl fired right off... "go figure" even the parts guy was puzzled.
Harley.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts