Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
13,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
860 Posts
I don't understand the VIN in one pic shows it painted white with different color hoses and the big pic of it is black?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I don't understand the VIN in one pic shows it painted white with different color hoses and the big pic of it is black?
Cowl tags are from two different cars. One has a red heater hose and the other has a black heater hose. Clamp is also turned to the opposite side. Sumpins FISHY here!

·
13,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First, it's the cowl tag, not the VIN. The VIN is on the drivers door jamb. As JD mentions above, the cowl tag in the 'up close' pic is from another car. This might just be an honest mistake. Cowl tags have no legal status, but it's worth questioning by a prospective buyer. I think the white sprayed tag shown in the engine picture is probably the correct one for the car.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
What does the giant '1971' on the cowl tag mean?

·
Super Moderator
4,012 Posts
The 1971 is a sequential number for production that year, I think. It just looks like a year, but that's a '62 cowl tag.

Pretty rare body style, and '64 was a little weird for offering this 400 series model sedan. Wonder if it was lifted after the mid-year SS was brought back.

Only going by clues here, and I hope I'm wrong, but has the right rear quarter been popped and repainted a slightly different white? That would bear seeing in person and taking a good look. Interior looks great and for the color of a heater hose, that's a mostly original engine compartment.

I'd keep it just like that but for some small corrections, but that's the perfect sleeper candidate with some SBC. Plenty have done just that over the years.

·
Registered
682 Posts
My guess is he just downloaded the wrong cowl pic, not trying to put out wrong information. It can be hard to keep track of pics when they're thumbnail size.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts