Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1971 Pontiac Ventura. It was originally a 6 cyl car. When I bought it a few years ago it had a tired 305 in it. My son and I swapped it out with a 496 stroker. It makes 475 hp. We initially put in a MSD 6AL ignition box. One mechanic said it was shot? so he took it out saying I don't really need an ignition box that big anyway. He put in a cheap $50 distributor from one of those discount distributors and it has never run right ever since. It will fire and run and rev like normal, but as soon as it gets under any load she starts missing and sputtering. Oh yah, it is still the original wiring. Any help would be appreciated. :confused:

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Was the car running bad when the mechanic took out the old ignition system? RICK

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really? It wasn't 100% tho, thats why I took it to him. When we had the engine dynod at the builders he used one of his distributors and ignition set ups. I had originally put in an aftermarket Accel or something like that.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
It sure sounds like you don't have enough of an ignition to fire that monster. I would call you're dyno guy and put the same set up he had the motor when he dynoed it. That's probably the easiest way to get you're 475 H.P. back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Thats what my son thinks too. Its winter up here in Canada, so I should have lots of time to get'r figured out.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Good luck! Ireally think going back to the origanal dyno set up will cure you're problem. Heck it's winter down here in So Cal also mid to upeer 30s. The world didn't end on the dec. 21 so now were all going to freeze to death. RICK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts