Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Soft pedal with a lot of stroke.......I'd ask the guy the size of the bore of the MC he installed.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Humm....my theory of too small a bore would then be wrong. Problem lays elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
If I went up to a bigger bore would that give me more pedal feel?

I mean the brakes work but if does not require a lot of effort really just a lot of travel. Feels like a new car with power brakes. I don't love that it basically bottoms out.

·
Registered
511 Posts
The bigger the bore the harder the push and the shorter the travel. 1 1/8 is probably the next step but you could run the risk of it requiring way too much pedal pressure. Literally, a fraction of an inch can make a big and not so desirable difference.
The fact that it "feels like power brakes" tells me the bore is too small.
First however, I'd make sure the rod is the right length for the MC and that is adjusted correctly. Push the pedal with your hand and feel for how much travel there is before it meets any resistance. The rod may be too short or more likely out of adjustment.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The bigger the bore the harder the push and the shorter the travel. 1 1/8 is probably the next step but you could run the risk of it requiring way too much pedal pressure. Literally, a fraction of an inch can make a big and not so desirable difference.
The fact that it "feels like power brakes" tells me the bore is too small.
First however, I'd make sure the rod is the right length for the MC and that is adjusted correctly. Push the pedal with your hand and feel for how much travel there is before it meets any resistance. The rod may be too short or more likely out of adjustment.
I will check the pedal rod. It was a factory 4 wheel drum car. I think there is a good 1/4-1/2 inch before rod engages the pocket. It's a deep pocket master like the one that came out of it.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I pinched the back brakes hoses and the pedal feels like it should. Guess there is still air in the caliper some how. I will be taking it back to the shop that attempted to fix it.

·
Registered
806 Posts
This is only a guess...
Is it possible that the amount of brake fluid required to fully engage the rear disc brakes (fill the calipers with fluid) is a higher volume of fluid than would normally be needed in rear brake cylinders to move the brake shoes for drum brakes?
Could that be why your brake pedal has more travel when attempting to stop your car?
Is there a differnt master cylinder that is needed for a disc/disc set-up vs a disc/drum set-up?

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
This is only a guess...
Is it possible that the amount of brake fluid required to fully engage the rear disc brakes (fill the calipers with fluid) is a higher volume of fluid than would normally be needed in rear brake cylinders to move the brake shoes for drum brakes?
Could that be why your brake pedal has more travel when attempting to stop your car?
Is there a differnt master cylinder that is needed for a disc/disc set-up vs a disc/drum set-up?
Well from what I understand yes. Disc/drum master's have a residual pressure valve in the rear circuit. I have a master cylinder from a 68 Corvette that was disc/disc and manual brakes.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts