Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

It's been quite some time that I've been on the board, as I've been extremely busy with school. Because of this, not much has happen with the Nova either, except for my new problem! I finally took her out for a cruise and as I was on my way home I glanced at my oil pressure gauge and to my surprise, there was little to no oil pressure! This was while I was on the freeway going about 65mph. Fortunately, I was right near my girlfriend's house and stopped there to check my pressure line, which is what I assumed was the problem first. But everything seems fine. I also outed the gauge, since it's mechanicalThe engine was also full of oil as well. I didn't want to take the chance, so I had it towed home.

So now I'm left clueless at to where I should start first, as far as finding the problem. I was going to remove the oil pan and check the pick-up and pump and make sure all that is ok. I figured if it was one of these things, it would have been quite noticeable while driving, but I didn't feel any difference in the way the car felt. I'd really appreciate it if you guys can provide me with some ideas as to what the culprit of this may be. I wanna drive my Nova again:(

Gino

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
If you were driving on the freeway with no pressure it should have locked up. Does it have hydraulic lifters? If so with no pressure they would have collapsed and got loud. I'd try a different gauge first thing based on what you said. If it stayed low I'd add several quarts of oil so it was well overfilled to see if the pick up was broken.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Real McCoy said:
If you were driving on the freeway with no pressure it should have locked up.
You might assume that but if you are not going full throttle the load is light.
I had the oil pump drive shear off and drove it several miles with ZERO oil pressure before I noticed the gauge.

Pull the distributor and put a priming tool and spin the pump. You'll know right away if it's working or not from the reaction of the drill motor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts