Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so im trying to fire my motor up for break in tonight and im having some electrical problems. Im not getting any power to the coil. im running a msd box. I have the orange to the positive and the black to the negative and I get nothing. I even tested another box and still nothing. I had my dad run the tester to it while I was cranking and he bumped it on the positive side and it sparked and started up. What does this sound like?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Good luck seeing power at the coil with a basic volt/ohm meter or test light.:D
It's 525 volts square wave.

What distributor are you using?
If it's an HEI, remove the module and run the purple and green wires directly to the pick-up coil.:yes:

I believe you can also touch the white wire to ground and get a spark.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im runnin a billet magnetic pickup distributor. You have to have an ignition box to use it. Basically what im confused about is when My dad had the tester grounded and then bumped it on the positive side of the coil it basically shorted out and sparked at the post and fired the motor up

·
4,534 Posts
is the engine grounded good?

Miles

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
figured out the problem, made a dumb mistake:rolleyes:. I had the 12 volt acc wire ran to an acc post instead of the ign post so basically it wasnt gettin power while cranking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts