Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I have a 69 Nova spent last four years getting her ready for the road but cant get any brakes. Heres the deal (All New stainless lines, rubber lines, back cylinders, brake shoes and springs, front calipers, brake pads, and a new master cylinder). Yes I bench bled the master cylinder five times now. I have went through the whole line bleeding process back to front several times and NO BRAKES. There is absolutly no leaks in the lines at all. Here is what I have found so far if I remove the supply line from the master cylinder and plug the hole for the front brakes I have brakes good solid firm brakes on the back but not when the front brakes are hooked back up. So answer me this do you guys feel that this would indicate that my prop valve is bad? This is the only piece in the puzzle that is still 36 years old. I have never ran into this problem and I know for a fact one of my fella Nova lovers knows the way to the answer. Thanks Guys

·
Registered
144 Posts
If the proportioning valve was restricted, then you would still have a firm pedal unless you had nothing but air between the MC and the valve. Do you have any fluid at the bleeder screws?

·
Premium Member
8,050 Posts
I would start by cracking open lines and finding out where the fluid is stopping at. Do it from the master cylinder back. If the fluid is getting to the porportioning valve but not coming out the other side means that it is blocked. I would do this at fitting and connection in the system until you find the blockage.

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Nova_Guy said:
I would start by cracking open lines and finding out where the fluid is stopping at. Do it from the master cylinder back. If the fluid is getting to the porportioning valve but not coming out the other side means that it is blocked. I would do this at fitting and connection in the system until you find the blockage.
My thoughts exactly.:) Follow the above instruction to narrow it down section by section. Follow the flow...it's messy but no other way will you know.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! Yes I bled from the master cylinder all the way down cracked every line and got pressure. Yes bleeders on MC have great pressure but bleeders on the calipers have only descent pressure the passenger side a little less. Brake lines are run correct. I have pulled off the calipers and pump the brake pedal and the pistons appeared to be responding fine. If I pump up the brakes around 15 to 25 times I get (some) pedal but when I take my foot off and push down again its to the floor nothing at all. I have been trying to get this straighted out for two weeks and have left it alone for up to three days trying to make sure that any air in the lines had accumilated and no luck. I have ran four full large bottles of brake fluid through the front brakes. It acts like air in the system but cant see that being posible at this point. If these answers lead all of you great Nova Pro's to feel the same as I do throw me a big yeah for support and can you guys tell me who is most reliable for a good quality piece such as a brake prop valve. Thank You guys a bunch for the fast response the weather is getting warm and my 69 wants to run buck wild.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes the fluid looks clean of air completly no spitting or sputtering and the caliper bleeder valves are on the bottom. I am going to bleed from the MC on down today again. I havent touched the brakes for two days so hopefully if its air I can catch it today. I will get back with you good folks and let you know. Thanks alot

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
one69nova said:
Yes the fluid looks clean of air completly no spitting or sputtering and the caliper bleeder valves are on the bottom. I am going to bleed from the MC on down today again. I havent touched the brakes for two days so hopefully if its air I can catch it today. I will get back with you good folks and let you know. Thanks alot
I believe as Ken is pointing to, you need the calipers mounted so the bleeder screws are on the 'top' so any air that is in there will escape once you crack the screws, if they are on the bottom air might be getting trapped in a pocket at the top. Flip the calipers to the other side.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guys I was going to switch the calipers but a wheel stud stripped out in the hub. Couldnt find any way of getting the wheel off other than taking out the bearings and cutting off the ears on the caliper and pulling the whole assembly off with the wheel. New caliper was suposed to be here this mourning but know they said Tuesday and no one keeps them in stock. I will let you all know what happens Tue. thanks for all of your help.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got Brakes Thanks A Bunch

Got brakes today:) swaped the calipers from left to right and vise versa and I had pedle presure in no time. It is amazing what can be over looked when one is out right fustrated. Folks I really appreaciate the sugestions the help and most of all the team work. stevesnovasite ROCKSSSSS:cool:

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
one69nova said:
Got brakes today:) swaped the calipers from left to right and vise versa and I had pedle presure in no time. It is amazing what can be over looked when one is out right fustrated. Folks I really appreaciate the sugestions the help and most of all the team work. stevesnovasite ROCKSSSSS:cool:
Good for you. I would have never guess it and yes these guys are great on this site..no doubt. Great info to know.:D :beer:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts