Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the shoes on a 10 bolt rear with drums, the adjuster is there but there is no access hole. Anyone know how were to adjust them?
thx

·
Registered
75 Posts
I recently did my back brakes on my 71 Nova and the new drums had a stamped outline for the hole on the side of the drum so I used a dremel and small grinding stone to cut out the slot to gain access to the adjuster wheel. That means the tire has to be off to adjust the brakes which makes it difficult to get the right amount of drag when setting the brakes. My older Ford truck has the slot at the base of the backing plate with a rubber grommet covering the slot. I used a bar between the wheels studs to turn the drum to check for drag but careful not to damage the threads on the wheel studs. That's my brother cutting out one of the slots on the drum

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is probably one of the stupidest things i have seen on this car yet, and there's been alot !
one other great chevy design is having to remove the cross member on the tranny to drain the oil pan.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, I didnt realize you did that on the drum.. i notice there is a flat spot ( Where there should be one on the back ) i may oval out one there

·
Registered
75 Posts
it is probably one of the stupidest things i have seen on this car yet, and there's been alot !
one other great chevy design is having to remove the cross member on the tranny to drain the oil pan.
Haven't come across that one yet because I had the tranny out to replace the clutch and did the oil change then . Realized when the tranny was out it made some noises I didn't like so had it rebuilt. It's the original M21 4 speed. Also had the shifter mechanism rebuilt. It was not the original muncie shifter it was a hurst which people on SNS recommended I retain .

Attachments

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
There is normally a slot in the backing plate for the rear brakes... that is located behind where the star adjuster wheel would be located. This slot in the backing plate usually has a rubber plug in it that needs to be removed so the star wheel can be turned to adjust your brake shoes.

If your backing plates does not have this slot, I would just remove the rear tires and the rear drums... and adjust the star wheel so the brake shoes slightly drag on the drum when installed over the brake shoes and turned.

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
When I rebuilt my rear it did not have a hole or even a knockout so you could. I did what RifRaf suggested. I had to take the drum off a couple times to get it right but the auto adjusters should be able to take over once you got it ball-parked.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
i found one of those drum adjuster tools at a rummage sale a few years back. the young kid had it in with some junky tools for sale. i picked it out an asked a price he said a quarter, ill take it. he asked what it was for as he had never seen one before. plus it was chrome how could i go wrong. well it works perfect with a little duct tape on it for removing the center caps on a rally wheel. thats my tip of the day. enjoy the cruise, when you can.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi are they 9 inch drums? If they are you may have to knock out the opening. It should be outlined/perforated just not open from the factory. I never understood why they did that. It can also have a spot on the drum same outline as the backing plate. They make a tool to measure the shoes with the drums. You should be able to get them close go a couple of clicks at a time till there is a little drag on the drum. I hope this helps

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Hi guys ………………. ALL Very Good answers .

Everyone 's just staying home & staying Well - I hope .

be safe out there …………… jim

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Yea I realize that. Just looking for any dumb excuse to post a pic of the tranny.
Hey John ........ you can also "post your pictures "direct on to SNS" ....... (not using the 'attachment' ).
(just click on the 'camera' - - #1 = paper clip - - #2 = chain links - - #3 = smiley face - -
# 4 === That's the camera).
SNS new site - does make posting up pictures very easy , now.

............. jim

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I decided to fix what should have been there to start off. ALL my Fords have these,,, Just Sayin :)
it only took a few minutes per side to do. I recommend doing this.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi just curious about something. The shoes are 2 different lengths the short she goes in the front. A quick look at the pics you put up although not seeing both shoes completely, to me they look backwards. let me know. BTW glad the backing plate holes worked out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi just curious about something. The shoes are 2 different lengths the short she goes in the front. A quick look at the pics you put up although not seeing both shoes completely, to me they look backwards. let me know. BTW glad the backing plate holes worked out.
you could be right, I replaced them the way they were on there, which was probably wrong. Im also missing one drum and the one I have i assume should be for a front drum because it has no ribs. i already left the shop for today, but would you have a pic of how each side should be?

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
neil63ss is right, primary shoe is the shorter shoe and always goes towards the front of the vehicle. The secondary shoe is the longer one and is always towards the rear of the vehicle. The best way for me to remember is the shoe closest to the adjusting screw star is always the secondary, longer shoe.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
neil63ss is right, primary shoe is the shorter shoe and always goes towards the front of the vehicle. The secondary shoe is the longer one and is always towards the rear of the vehicle. The best way for me to remember is the shoe closest to the adjusting screw star is always the secondary, longer shoe.

View attachment 401374
Thanks, this is a great help.I'll switch it out tomorrow!

·
Registered
202 Posts
About your comment about the drums being ribbed. Those are cooling fins and are better drums. Depending on the year 62 & 63 get what you can. 64 on up should be no problem finding them. It does make a difference. If you don't have if a booster really helps. I never asked what year is your car?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts