Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason, none of the fuses show power when the ignition is in the ACC position (back 1/4 turn). The ones that are 12V B+ are active all the time as they should be and the Key-on fuses come on when I go into the on position as they should. Looking at the diagram, #141 is the ACC circuit. Anyone know which fuse should activate under ACC position? I want to hook up my stereo so that I can use it w/o the electric FP coming on. Is there something that I am missing?

Thanks

·
6,524 Posts
Things might be worn or need adjustment like the ignition switch tumbler and mechanism and/or the ignition switch on the topside of the column.

Maybe too there is something not plugged in all the way or a break in a wire. There might also be a corroded connection on a wire or fuse clip.

Luckily you can do some basic tests with a test light.

I would start at the fuse block checking the fuse and clips marked RADIO and see if you have power there with the key rotated backwards to the accessory position and if not then with the key still in that position, see if you have power on the wire at the ignition switch plug on the topside of the column. Off memory I believe the accessory wire at the column switch is a brown and probably around a 12 gauge.

Jim

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mean the plug inside the top of the column, or the one outside that connects together the two.

I tested all the fuses and they work with either "key-on" or 12V+ no power with key in acc mode. I will start testing the wires you suggest with some clarification on which wires you are referring to.

Thanks

Things might be worn or need adjustment like the ignition switch tumbler and mechanism and/or the ignition switch on the topside of the column.

Maybe too there is something not plugged in all the way or a break in a wire. There might also be a corroded connection on a wire or fuse clip.

Luckily you can do some basic tests with a test light.

I would start at the fuse block checking the fuse and clips marked RADIO and see if you have power there with the key rotated backwards to the accessory position and if not then with the key still in that position, see if you have power on the wire at the ignition switch plug (do you mean inside the column or the plug on the column)on the topside of the column. Off memory I believe the accessory wire at the column switch is a brown and probably around a 12 gauge.

Jim

·
6,524 Posts
Here are the connectors called out on a 74 Nova column of mine and should be almost the same for the 69-79 models.

This is the inside of an ignition switch off of one of my cars and how the switch works are brass bars with tension springs make connections between spots depending where the switch is positioned by the linkage rod.

On the below is a picture of an ignition switch on one of my columns and those two little 5/16" headed screws go through slots and allows the switch to be adjusted up or down on the column.

Here is a shot of one of the columns of mine that in the white plug is the BROWN accessory wire that should show 12V when the key is in the RUN and ACCESSORY key position and dead in all other key positions (OFF and CRANK).

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts