Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 66 has a Holley 12-316 in tank pump (255 LPH / 58 psi regulated by the pump), supplying a carb style EFI (Fitech Easy Street 600). The EFI calls for a 58 psi supply.
A NOS, basic nitrous plate system typically calls for an approximate 6 psi supply of fuel on a 150ish hp setup.

Is it feasible to Y off of the fuel line, at the motor, and supply the wet side of the nitrous system that way? Or will it cause the supply to the EFI to loose adequate pressure/flow?

From my research, that pump should handle the HP of my motor combo + about a 150 shot.

I don't have the car back on the road yet, but I'm already scheming up ways to complicate things. Lol

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Do they make a regulator to reduce it from 60 psi to 6?

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
I think you need to Y off your feed line prior to your fuel pressure regulator (which is set at 66 psi), install a second regulator turned down to 6 psi, and then feed the nitrous fuel solenoid from there. Otherwise, you're going to get wayyyy more fuel than you want and the engine will run extremely rich on nitrous pulls.

Kev

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's an excellent point. I had fully intended on putting another regulator in, going to the NOS solenoid.
I'm wondering if that pump is going to keep up with both systems.

The EFI is called a 600, but they say it'll handle up to 650 hp.
The shop that built this 5.3 swears it's a 485 hp motor, but I'm saying it'll probably be more like a 450 hp.
450 + 150 = 600... cutting it close.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
For the few seconds that the pump is going to need to supply that extra bit of fuel at low pressure, I'm guessing you'll be okay........ but could be a costly assumption!

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
If you wanted to be super safe, you could put a small 5 gallon fuel tank in the trunk with 100 octane gas, use a little electric fuel pump, and run a separate fuel line from the trunk up to the nitrous solenoid, regulated to 6 psi. Then you can guarantee all will be well when you spray. Not going to be cheap or simple though.

Kev

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a good idea. And that insurance would be a lot cheaper than grenading the motor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts