Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have cast alum 0.30 over pistons in my 406 and been spraying 150 shot for bout 6 years now. never had a problem with it. When i get the motor back together do yall think it would be safe to spray 200 shot to it as long as its tunned right and runnin 112 race gas? the bottom end has a scat light weight cast crank,arp main studs,arp rod bolts,and stock rods.

·
Registered
798 Posts
If the motor is apart now I would consider doing a forged piece even though they cost a bunch.I also have a bored 400 (no spray,11.7:1) which had hyper pistons.Took me awhile to get my tune in the ballpark last spring,put about 3500 miles on it this summer,and when I pulled the motor this winter for some unrelated upgrades I found 2 pistons with a 2" crescent shaped piece of the piston between the top and 2nd rings broken off and rattling around between the rings.Tops of the piston were great,didn't really notice any increased oil usage or symptoms from this and had I not popped out the pistons I would have ran it unknowingly until total failure.Made me wonder if this was starting on any of the other pistons since you can't really do a visual check of that area at the bottom of the ring land groove so rather than replace the broken 2 I stepped up to a set of Wiseco forged.Aftermarket steel rods are pretty cheap insurance also.I would say you are getting to the outer limits of some of that stock cast stuff.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts