Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was told I needed Nitrophyl Floats on my Holley 850 DP. I called a budy of mine that has done some basic rebuilds on Holleys, and he has alot of parts. Now after looking at Jegs and Summit, I naturally know that they are not the brass ones:p, and the only other ones I see are the black ones that look like they are made of plastic. My buddy has two of the black plastic looking ones that I think are the ones I need, but how can I know for sure? Does Holley only make Brass, and Nitrophyl? Any help will be appreciated.:D

I

·
0 Posts
I worked at Holley for 4-1/2 years in the Pro-Stock carb department.

Holley has all 3 float materials you describe, brass, which I always use, Nitryphyl, which will eventually staurate and sink, and plastic. The differences are always described as bouyancy issues for different specific grabities of street fuels, but I have never had a bad brass float in a Holley, have had issues with saturation/sinking with the Nitrophyl, and just plain uncontrollable float valve problems with the plastic ones.

I use the brass ones, exclusively. I even change the ones in my Q-jets to brass every time I get a new one to rebuild/modify/use.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IgnitionMan said:
I worked at Holley for 4-1/2 years in the Pro-Stock carb department.

Holley has all 3 float materials you describe, brass, which I always use, Nitryphyl, which will eventually staurate and sink, and plastic. The differences are always described as bouyancy issues for different specific grabities of street fuels, but I have never had a bad brass float in a Holley, have had issues with saturation/sinking with the Nitrophyl, and just plain uncontrollable float valve problems with the plastic ones.

I use the brass ones, exclusively. I even change the ones in my Q-jets to brass every time I get a new one to rebuild/modify/use.
Thanks for the info. The only problem is that the carb will be a blowthrough carb that requires Nitrophyl floats. Is there any way I can tell if it is Nitrophyl or Plastic by looking at it? Any color difference?

I

·
0 Posts
Nitrophyl is always a dull black, has a very small parting line where the two pieces of the mold released from each other.

Plastic can be either black or opaque white, somewhat shinier appearance, have a large parting line.

Holley web site should have pics of these for you to view.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
My carb guy uses a notched nytrophyl float to clear jet extensions. I have these in all 3 of my racing carbs. The 850 I'm running now has one in it. It's 3 or 4 yrs old and has been fine so far. Not sure how long they last but so far so good. I was told round trackers use them for fast high banked tracks to keep the G forces from pushing the floats down in the turns too. RM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts