Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
13,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a great looking car. Power steering and brakes. Best trunk plate I've seen in a long time. Gaps are nice and they have to be, because when they're uneven on a yellow car they really jump out. As we've come to expect, they missed painting the door sills black. A few incorrect items, like the wood wheel and GM sticker on the door, but overall a really nice L30 SS

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Nova-...b93a349e:g:jDIAAOSwY7lcW5xD:rk:1:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Bob

·
Super Moderator
3,894 Posts
That's kind of an underrated combo, the 327 and the power glide. I had a '67 hardtop equipped that way and it was pretty quick for an out-of-the-box factory car.

The body on this one does look nice, and the car is of a 'drive it' quality, which I really like, and it's in one of the iconic colors of the '60's. Wonder if it will fetch the listed price...is this where prices of nice '66 SS cars are?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
That's a really nice car, Lemonwood Yellow is a classy color....

·
13,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's kind of an underrated combo, the 327 and the power glide. I had a '67 hardtop equipped that way and it was pretty quick for an out-of-the-box factory car. The body on this one does look nice, and the car is of a 'drive it' quality, which I really like, and it's in one of the iconic colors of the '60's. Wonder if it will fetch the listed price...is this where prices of nice '66 SS cars are?
Yes, it won't win any races, but with the PG, PS and PB it's perfect as a weekend cruiser. I'd leave it just as it is. As for price, it's high, but it's a dealer. This seems to be the asking price level for these cars at dealers. Twenty years sure makes a difference. I bought my GM Canada documented, Lemonwood Yellow L79 fully restored for $23,500 in late 1999.

Bob

·
13,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just came across this 1966 sport coupe to price compare with the Lemonwood Yellow L30. This car was born a 283 V/8, but probably a 3 on the tree, as there is no 4 speed coded on the cowl tag. The interior was originally blue, but now black. The front bumper is horribly crooked. The Mist Blue paint appears to be original, but was uninspiring even when these cars were new in '66. This is a late build (4th week of June). For 5K less asking price, it doesn't compare with the yellow SS.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Chevr...8295e422:g:XLUAAOSwTwtcW2Bh:rk:5:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Note the hole drilled just ahead of the 'Body by Fisher' designation at the bottom of the cowl tag. All 1966 Chevy IIs built after February 1, 1966 will have this hole to indicate roof rail mounts for optional front seat shoulder belts are in place. Shoulder belts were an available option for the 1966 Chevy II in the last 5 months of production. Has anybody ever seen one so equipped?

Bob

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Nice car! My dad had a 67SS that was lemonwood yellow with a black vinyl top. 6cyl even. He bought the car from an old lady back in 1985. He paid 800 dollars. Sold the car a few years later to his younger brother. He later wrecked the car and totaled it.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Just came across this 1966 sport coupe to price compare with the Lemonwood Yellow L30. This car was born a 283 V/8, but probably a 3 on the tree, as there is no 4 speed coded on the cowl tag. The interior was originally blue, but now black. The front bumper is horribly crooked. The Mist Blue paint appears to be original, but was uninspiring even when these cars were new in '66. This is a late build (4th week of June). For 5K less asking price, it doesn't compare with the yellow SS.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Chevr...8295e422:g:XLUAAOSwTwtcW2Bh:rk:5:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Note the hole drilled just ahead of the 'Body by Fisher' designation at the bottom of the cowl tag. All 1966 Chevy IIs built after February 1, 1966 will have this hole to indicate roof rail mounts for optional front seat shoulder belts are in place. Shoulder belts were an available option for the 1966 Chevy II in the last 5 months of production. Has anybody ever seen one so equipped?

Bob
Thank you!! Ya learn something every day, I knew about the hole punched in the TT but never what it stood for!

·
13,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heres one to compare prices that I noticed a while ago. Didn't post it in this section but I sure do like it. Plus, looks like a factory 4 speed?
http://www.dixiedreamcars.com/detai...vy_ii_nova_ss_super_sport_-used-17705925.html
Love it! Still a lot of originality left in this car. Cowl tag coded as a 4 speed, but the shifter has been changed out, which is not unusual. This shade of yellow was popular in the mid 60's. Ford called it Phoenician Yellow on my '65 Falcon sport coupe. My L79 Nova SS was Lemonwood Yellow, which doesn't appear too much different than 1964 Goldwood Yellow, 1965 Crocus Yellow and 1967+ Butternut Yellow.

Bob

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
i learned something new today.
Note the hole drilled just ahead of the 'Body by Fisher' designation at the bottom of the cowl tag.
i had to go out in the garage an check yes the hole is there on mine. built the 3rd. week of feb. i sure had never noticed that little 3/32 dia. hole before.
thanks for that info bob.

·
Super Moderator
3,894 Posts
Probably some significant differences in mechanical condition between the car Bob found and the one at dixiedreamcars. Personally, I'd still go after the 4-speed car, even with the condition of the PG car being so nice. No-rust, together and pretty original 4-speed 66 SS cars are getting tough, and this price isn't that far off the mark. Drive it right now and worry less has a huge draw.

·
13,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This eBay L30 car also had a rare option. I just noticed there's a 'T' in the 2nd group of cowl tag option codes. This indicates that this car had a factory power rear antenna (RPO U75). Very few Chevy IIs had this option and the one that came in this car is sadly not there now.

Also, note the clip hanging from the heater blower stud. This appears to be one of the clips that holds the starter motor wiring harness to the top of the firewall. Appears to have come detached and somebody bolted it to the blower stud. This wiring harness should run down the right side of the blower motor (as you look at it from the front of the engine compartment). Many cars have this harness incorrectly routed to the left of the blower, sometimes hanging in front of the cowl tag. How do I know this? I lost points with my L79 at a concours event because mine was wrong and a clip down the firewall holding it in place was missing.

This car is a very early Willow Run build...4th week of September, 1965. Check the low body sequence number....239.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Power rear antenna??? Wow, didn't even know that option existed!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts