1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
Pretty car but that mirror is hideous.:no:

·
Banned
3,991 Posts
This one was up for sale a while back ... I agree they should have removed that mirror when they repainted.

Speaking of which, I wonder why they painted the gas cap. :confused:

Not to be picky or anything.:D

Cheers, Tim

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
This one was up for sale a while back ... I agree they should have removed that mirror when they repainted.

Speaking of which, I wonder why they painted the gas cap. :confused:

Not to be picky or anything.:D

Cheers, Tim
Yea , I have seen this one before and its pretty nice. That mirror always made me wince and scratch my head at the same time.

·
13,727 Posts
I wonder why they painted the gas cap. :confused: Not to be picky or anything.:D
Cheers, Tim
Tim, it was my understanding that all first generation Chevy IIs had painted gas caps. All the factory pics show them painted. When I got my 63 SS it still in the original Palomar Red paint including the gas cap. The Custom Accessories Catalogue for '63 shows the locking gas cap painted with just a key hole in the centre. Anybody know more about this?

Bob

·
Banned
3,991 Posts
Thanks Bob - learn something new every day. I've seen many that aren't painted - I guess they just get replaced when lost or when the rubber rots.

Tim

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
When they moved the shifter to the floor they should have done it right. Still has colume shift and the floor shift should been done with right hump and boot. I'd rather leave it on the colume instead of cutting floor for that cheesy looking set up.
The car looks good... but I half agree with the shifter setup... If he wanted to restore it to original (or close to) he should of left the shifter on the column... the problem I ran into with those 3 speeds is that nobody makes aftermarker peices that will line up with the middle of that hump, they all will set off to the side, mine does... but not as much as this guy's does... If he spent a good amount of money restoring the car he should have sprung a few extra bucks to modify some brackets up to move the shifter closer to the tranny... I would... but lack of knowledge and horrible measuring skills limit what i can do :( oh and money :)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
It looks good, but they refer it to a high quality cosmetic resto. When I looked at the secnd picture of the engine bay, I cant help but notice the sloppy detail. Look at the top of the shock tower. How do you miss that overspray when its in your face. And the picture of the underside of the hood looks like they srayed right over rust near the latch. It looks a little crusty to me. They even sprayed over the latch. Stuff like this make me wonder just how much effort was put into prep before paint. Yes it looks great in the pictures of the outside now, but in a year or 2, who knows.

·
13,727 Posts
This is probably a car you would want to see in person before bidding. Looks like a real nice car, but pictures can be very deceiving. I agree, the floor shifter was probably not a good idea. Anyone notice it's missing the rocker mouldings? Looks like it didn't get new window seals and fuzzies, either (check the left front door pic). And that 'unmolested' engine compartment somehow got a dual braking system:rolleyes:. Also interesting is the absence of a padded dash and seatbelts...still options in 63, even on high end models like convertibles. The underside seems pretty solid. Might not take much to bring this car up to a pretty high standard if it could be purchased for a reasonable price.

Bob

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Tim, it was my understanding that all first generation Chevy IIs had painted gas caps. All the factory pics show them painted. When I got my 63 SS it still in the original Palomar Red paint including the gas cap. The Custom Accessories Catalogue for '63 shows the locking gas cap painted with just a key hole in the centre. Anybody know more about this?

Bob
Yup,

My 63 ss has the original gas cap painted.

The locking gas cap was always a dealer item and never from the factory. You were able to order them chrome or paintable. In 65 there was a design change on the filler neck and I believe there was a miss communication with the locking gas cap manufacturer. It was around this time that many found out that their ordered cap would no longer fit properly. So the cap manufacturer made some changes for the new depth of the 65 filler neck but did not know about the new clocked position…..

To this day you will find many NOS locking gas caps for this reason. They were ordered back in the day, and were found to not fit properly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts