Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
13,707 Posts
Great car. Monaco Blue is a favorite of mine, but don't see too many. Too bad they didn't do the trunk properly. Looks like truck bed liner.

Bob

·
Registered
74 Posts
This one is more what I'm looking for and isn't too far from N. Cali. Anyone live near where this car is located? I emailed the seller about undercarriage pics. I'll see what they say. Thanks, Gil

·
Super Moderator
3,840 Posts
Neat car. Didn't know you could make a Hurst come up through the '63 SS console and not chafe the hole. Sure they didn't make them that way in '63, but in this case, who cares? The owner did a lot to make it have a stock appearance where possible and where it matters. They sure threw a lot of bright work at a '63 SS. Cool car, cool color, looks like some straight body panels, and that is a lot of fun right now. We have all seen a lot worse cars come up for sale for the same or more money. If the body's solid, look no further.

·
Registered
63 SS convertible 67 SS 4 spd
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This one is more what I'm looking for and isn't too far from N. Cali. Anyone live near where this car is located? I emailed the seller about undercarriage pics. I'll see what they say. Thanks, Gil
Let us know if they send pictures or what they say. Tough time to try to sell a car with everyone not wanting or willing to go out. Not to mention worrying about the economy for now at least.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Here is how they responded so far. gi l

"Very solid car, we have a bunch of receipts on the build I will look and see if I can find anything on the paint job but it looks really nice. I will upload undercarriage tomorrow.".

I'll let you know what else they say.

Thanks
Gil

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
I am about an hour away. You should ask them how it shifts being in what appears to be a non-modified console.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks! Will do. I'm hoping to get on the phone with them tomorrow. Any other potential problems or issues I should ask about? Anyone on here ever hired a third party inspection service to check out a car before?

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
I would ask why the door panels look to have water damage (warpage). Maybe it is just the pics?

Will send you a PM regarding vehicle inspection.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
looks like someone took great care going through the car. Why would they paint the trunk like that? Shouldn't it be the gray splatter? I would be looking real close at the trunk area just because of that.

·
Registered
582 Posts
nice ride!

the interior door panels are probably in need of replacement (maybe they were installed too far forward and buckled?). i think the kick panel folded piece is supposed to go under the carpet--easy fix.

i have a four speed with console, but this console looks tilted to the left to allow for reverse. we made and adapter, or you can buy a pre-bent stick. the fore and aft can be tricky due to a 3" opening, but the version of console shown here looks like it has a longer opening, which would certainly help.

the passenger's side door may need new hinge pins as it looks sagged, based on reveal molding and side trim misalignment, but maybe just needs corrected.

something also looks off about the pedals--looks like the brake pedal stalk goes straight down instead of angled?

otherwise, looks good to me!

-Rusty

·
Super Moderator
3,840 Posts
Good information, I think. I didn't know how guys were making the 4-speed work with the '63-'64 SS console for PG, but that goes a long way to explaining it. For all of the limited production, short run stuff GM was doing back in the day, I wish they had done a '64 console much like the PG/SS one, but 4-speed, like Impala. Not only with this car, but with others seen here on site, guys are doing some cars that weren't available back new, but we wish they had been. A '63 SS with V-8 and 4-speed is one, and someone made some efforts to keep the car original looking, which I appreciate. I may try the same with the next Nova or Chevy II I go after.

·
13,707 Posts
nice ride!

the interior door panels are probably in need of replacement (maybe they were installed too far forward and buckled?). i think the kick panel folded piece is supposed to go under the carpet--easy fix.
The passenger's side door may need new hinge pins as it looks sagged, based on reveal molding and side trim misalignment, but maybe just needs corrected.
-Rusty
Notice that both the front door cards are bulging in the same place. Agree with you that install might be the problem.

Quite a few panel and trim alignment problems. Passenger side door for sure. Out of alignment with the reveal and mid body trim, but does line up with the peak trim. Hood needs aligning for side gaps. Like all 1st gens, getting to match at the headlight bezels may never be achieved. There's a lot of exterior trim on a '63 SS. I removed the peak trim and full length side moldings on my '63 SS for restoration. Took the better part of a week to get it all back on and lined up. It wasn't perfect when the car was new and it still wasn't perfect when I finished putting it on, so I considered it 'as original' :giggle: .

Let us hope the underside pictures don't come back showing the same finish as the trunk. It's brutal.

Bob

·
Registered
924 Posts
I like the car, and the few trim alignment issues could be an easy fix. That trunk though... I’d knock $2k off just because of that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I like the car, and the few trim alignment issues could be an easy fix. That trunk though... I’d knock $2k off just because of that.
I asked about the trunk. He said it's totally solid but for some reason the prior owner decided to put some sort of "bed liner" type of paint on it.

·
Registered
63 SS convertible 67 SS 4 spd
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quoted Rustys63 with my comments inserted. Didn't know how else to do it.

nice ride!

The door panels are a little tricky getting into the trim pieces. Could be as simple as that. I had the same issue and used a little candle wax rubbed on the top and bottom made them slip right in.

i have a four speed with console, but this console looks tilted to the left to allow for reverse. we made and adapter, or you can buy a pre-bent stick. the fore and aft can be tricky due to a 3" opening, but the version of console shown here looks like it has a longer opening, which would certainly help.

There are 2 different consoles. One with the longer opening as shown and one with a more square opening. Would the square opening accommodate a 4 speed better?

otherwise, looks good to me!

-Rusty

1 - 20 of 26 Posts