Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
13,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sharp looking car. Not over done. It's in Cardiff by the Sea, California. Great cruiser for highway 1 through Oceanside, Encinitas, Solana Beach, Del Mar. I know these places because I have a daughter in Rancho Santa Fe. You folks living in that area have a little bit of heaven right on your doorstep.

Bob

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
wooow thats a keeper. i couldn't find any thing i'd change. but the shift indicator on the steering column shows 3 speed but add says a power glide. i watched the vid an he hit the key an that v-8 fired right up an sounded good. i bet my wife would like that one for summer time driving. would would that sell for 12-15 ?

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
1964 license plate frames... :D I am not into the white interior, but it does look clean. Works with the exterior color. Body also appears super straight like the ad says.

Has a '65 instrument cluster in it, which I think looks better than the '63. Brighter and more stylistic.

What's up with 3 lines coming out of a single chambered master? Cannot tell if it is disc or drum, but that could be of concern. Also appears the fuse box / bulkhead is not bolted to the firewall in the normal spot. Might have homemade wiring :unsure:

If the price is right and the body is as nice as it looks, would be a good buy. Clean-up the mechanicals in time for summer.

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
would would that sell for 12-15 ?
That is realistic. It has some questionable mechanical work from the pics though. Things that should drive down price, but people get caught up in the presentation, so you never know.

·
Registered
587 Posts
always want to get to the pics after reading the seller's flowery descriptions, even one that attempts to convince you a heater is disconnected because...it's California? um, is there a short, or what's up with that?

...similiar to SouthBays, noticed the weird master deal and the electrical deal on the firewall leaving a rather large hole in the firewall (better keep that top down in case of blow-by fumes!).

the tri-color interior is certainly an acquired taste, and most importantly, why not slap in a new carpet rather than tell me it's faded??? but then the hood to cowl rubber seal is missing, too, so maybe it is fitting...

otherwise, love the color and GREAT stance and wheels. but yeah, there should be some haggling allowed after just even a cursory glance.

-Rusty

·
Super Moderator
3,844 Posts
Sometimes on the convertibles, I think you need to drive them to see about shakes: cowl, doors, etc. The rustier they have been, the more some shake unless repairs are quality. Not the way I'd do the car, but a good looker and this would be attractive to anybody wanting a beach town cruiser for a couple of summers, Nova or not.

Worth going to look at it just for going to Cardiff by the Sea. North SD county is a beautiful part of the world, and what I think of when I think of California beaches.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
So... Is it an SS or not?? It has peak molding, but has '400' series rear emblems... It has bucket seats, but no SS dash trim, and no emblem on the glove box door?.... Exterior looks clean (but why did they remove side trim?); has a nice stance; underhood is driver quality.

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
nice car but I like them with all the trim , looks to be a 400 with SS peak trim , the horn button has been repaired and not in a good way , the glovebox looks miss aligned , '64 plate frames ? '65 instrument cluster & radio bezel , heater is disconnected

·
Registered
990 Posts
The car is nice but take a look at this gem. Very well done. Sorry if I should have started a new thread.

·
13,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The car is nice but take a look at this gem. Very well done. Sorry if I should have started a new thread.
This car has been on eBay since early last fall. It was discussed here at that time. They won't answer requests for the info from the bottom line of the cowl tag. Appears there's nothing there to indicate it's a real SS, so...…….appears to be a nicely done clone with a website selling price of $65K. No takers for almost 4 months.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
3,844 Posts
I like both cars for what they are. The subject of the original post looks like someone had a leftover convertible and, without concern for all the trim or originality, decided to make an eye-catching cruiser. Mission accomplished, and I think there will be a market, especially in CA, for just such a '60's convertible, be it a Falcon, Dart, Tempest, Olds...whatever. Not the car for the Nova purist. The second comes a good distance closer to an era engine transplant car with the Corvette 327 and 4 speed with customized console. For that and the other quality differences, this is a much higher dollar car, but not the kind of money Bob said they were asking. I mean, at $65K, what do you counter if you really want it?

No better '63 SS 4-speed convertible than the one mentioned many times here on SNS. My apologies for forgetting who did it, but hats off to the gentleman who did a ground up on that brown '63 SS with V-8 and 4-speed. Still the gold standard for such an effort in my book.

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
Auction ended just over $20K. Supreme looking car, but I don't know about $65K.

·
13,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Auction ended just over $20K. Supreme looking car, but I don't know about $65K.
I just checked back and this car first appeared on eBay in August, 2018. It reached $22,700. The website price at that time was $70K. It's been on eBay ever since and has never been bid beyond the August level. As I mentioned in a post back in August, there has to be a back story to this car that's untold.

Bob

·
Registered
587 Posts
is that bubbling and rust i see beginning to poke out on the inner passenger side door bottom? must have been missed on that nut/bolt restoration.

surprised it's a ten bolt rear, unless counted wrong. for 60K plus, just figured a 12 bolt would be expected.

maybe there is more than meets the eye here, and some folks have checked it out and agree..?

the azure aqua is a great color, though.

-Rusty

·
Super Moderator
3,844 Posts
As always, the buyer would have to see it in person. But if you start with a basket case or even a very nice, rust-free convertible that needs everything, NO WAY you can come out (including the original cost of the car) at $23K. So, not $65K, but to get it for under $23K it'd take a ski mask and a .38.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts