Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to add some ballast to my car does anyone have some pixs?i dont want to buy a ballast box,i was thinking about maybe steel plate weights ?i looked at the rule book but it does not say to much about removable weight

·
Registered
457 Posts
According to nhra rule book.....100LBS MAX of removable weight. Must be mounted with 1/2 min bolts.
Here is a pic of mine, they are 25lb ea side with lead shot, 1/2 bolts welded to down bar of cage.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Some folks use an old military ammo metal box with bagged lead shot in it. Others use bar bell weights. Others use lead in many shapes. I melt wheel weights from a local tire store and pour that into 2X3 steel tubing. That is required in NASCAR so the bolts can't pull thru the soft lead in a crash. RM

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
I have saw dirt track cars with the old style SBC valve covers filled with lead and bolted to the back of the car. That might look neat bolt to the bar in the trunk.

·
Registered
751 Posts
"removable" is a relative term. Technically anything bolted is removable wieght, including your msd, fuel pump, etc etc. Be smart about it, don't tell everyone and bolt it in low. I used to add 400# to run s/st. Melted lead down into square box tubing and bolted it inbetween frame rails and such so that it looked just like another frame rail.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts