Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm rebuilding my 66 as a restomod. I used to bracket race a 66 with a 540/'glide combo and know that even mildish street cars with aftermarket parts have to meet certain safety requirements.
Does anyone in the drag racing corner of SNS have a recommendation for a shifter w/ reverse lockout, etc? One that will get me through tech, but won't be a pain in the keester to run on the street? I doubt my street car will see a whole lot of track time. But yhen again, who knows? I've fallen prey to that addiction before. Lol
TIA 4 NPHNP

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm rebuilding my 66 as a restomod. I used to bracket race a 66 with a 540/'glide combo and know that even mildish street cars with aftermarket parts have to meet certain safety requirements.
Does anyone in the drag racing corner of SNS have a recommendation for a shifter w/ reverse lockout, etc? One that will get me through tech, but won't be a pain in the keester to run on the street? I doubt my street car will see a whole lot of track time. But yhen again, who knows? I've fallen prey to that addiction before. Lol
TIA 4 NPHNP
* running a 4l60e behind a fairly warm 5.3 ls...

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I run the B&M stealth pro bandit shifter in my 66. It’s behind a th350. Will also work behind a 4 spd auto also. It’s NHRA/IHRA approved. Works great.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I run the B&M stealth pro bandit shifter in my 66. It’s behind a th350. Will also work behind a 4 spd auto also. It’s NHRA/IHRA approved. Works great.
I had kinda noticed that one. Would look good in a cherried out original SS too. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I like the Turbo-Action Cheetah/Winters Sidewinder, but that won't blend well with a cherry'd out stock interior look.

I was going to suggest either the B&M Pro Stick Pistol grip, or the Bandit already mentioned.
You can accessorize the original B&M Pro Stick with an available aluminum T-handle and T-trigger if you like the almost 4-speed stick looks as another alternative to the white ball and squeeze lever.. My stepbro has his Pro Stick set-up that way in his Monte Carlo.

You might also look at the Precision Performance Products Kwik-Shift II, a more refined style of the Bandit look.

Kilduff Machine if you want somethng really different, their Lightning Rods is way cool but maybe not the look you are after.

·
Registered
66 Chevy II, Pontiac powered; 68 &75 Firebirds
431 Posts
I have not been to a track for tech. The literature for for a B & M Quicksilver states NHRA legal. I really like the looks and ease of operation. I have three of them. It gate shifts to drive where it drops down into ratchet mode to go through the gears. Will not ratchet back into neutral. The handle has to be lifted up while in D to access N, R, P.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not been to a track for tech. The literature for for a B & M Quicksilver states NHRA legal. I really like the looks and ease of operation. I have three of them. It gate shifts to drive where it drops down into ratchet mode to go through the gears. Will not ratchet back into neutral. The handle has to be lifted up while in D to access N, R, P.
Thanks for that, Franky. It's helpful to have someone with actual experience explaining how it operates.
When I first put the car together, in '91, I had a B&M Starshifter. Hokey name, if you ask me, but it worked the same way (if I'm reading you right). I really liked it. I could pull the detent lever up and

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that, Franky. It's helpful to have someone with actual experience explaining how it operates.
When I first put the car together, in '91, I had a B&M Starshifter. Hokey name, if you ask me, but it worked the same way (if I'm reading you right). I really liked it. I could pull the detent lever up and
...and move it to R, N, or D. And if I wanted to get more aggressive, I would pull the detent lever again and pull it back into a ratchet mode.
Does this sound like the same thing? Or is it always in ratchet mode when you put it in gear?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
* I watched B&M's "how to" video on shifting the Quicksilver. Not exactly what I thought, but it actually looks like the one that I'd prefer to use.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a hurst pro matic 2. Basically same as quicksilver and yes it passes tech.
I watched a "how to" video for the Promatic2. Very cool. I actually like the idea of running Hurst, simply because of the nostalgia of it. Also it look old school cool.
Interesting part tho, is my wife will struggle enough with the Quicksilver, and having to pull up on the shifter, having to lift up AND push down with Promatic2, it'd probably get her pretty PO'd. Lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts