Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

At what point does NHRA require a driveshaft loop?

And if and when required, is there specific location for driveshaft loops?

Thanks

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,091 Posts
Most DS loops mount to the rear tranny mount or near there depending on the car. The loop must be close to the front universal because if it were to break there the DS could go down and catapult the car,
Should the rear one give out it will flop around and destroy the underneath but not catapult the car.

Two thresholds for DS loop

One if you are running Drag radials or slicks, you must have a DS loop regardless of speed.

There is a speed/ ET standard as well, bit IDK what it is.....most people met the first criteria

I've raced IHRA and NHRA, street classes, so thsats where my knowledge comes from....your situation may be different.

If you have ever seen a DS universal break you would probably want a DS loop in all your cars...

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
If your running Slicks, hoop is required regardless of ET. Rule Book :yes:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
It’s also SUPPOSED to be within 6” of front joint. I put mine as close as possible based on the floor design. Not like anyone was going to measure.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I always get a kick out of the outdated and unclear NHRA rulebook.

Driveline 2:4
For all full-bodied and open-bodied cars running between 7.50
(*4.50) and 13.99 (*8.59) in place of a crossmember located
behind but within 6 inches of the center of the front universal
joint: A front driveshaft loop is required on all cars, except
vehicles running 11.49 (*7.35) seconds or slower equipped with
street tires.

I've seen that interpreted as "drag radials are street tires" and no DS loop required. Which is a bit ironic, as no tire is harder on driveline parts than a drag radial! Slicks are a forgiving marshmallow in comparison.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, looks like I'll be fabbing up a loop no more than 6" away from the front u joint.

Thanks guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts