Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My name is Jim, and I bought my first Nova this weekend. :cool:

Its a 70 SS396 w/ TH400. It was originally green (Forest?), now orange, and has a black bucket seat interior, console with gauges, etc. I'm guessing that was originally the 350 horse motor by the 5500 redline tach.

There's a little rust to deal with - patches on both fenders, one door skin, and a pair of quarter skins should fix everything. The floor pan and trunk pan are really nice.

The drive train was rebuilt about 6000 miles ago. The 396 is a mechanical lifter roller cam motor with an Edelbrock intake and a Barry Grant carb. Unfortunately, when the machine work was done, the block was decked and the numbers lost. The good news is that it will fly!

Here're my questions - I've read on the Team Chevelle board that on some 1970 BBC Chevelles, the VIN is also stamped by the oil filter boss. Has anyone found one on a Nova? Also, where would be the most likely spot to find a build sheet?

Thanks for all your help! I look forward to participating on the board.

Jim

·
Registered
905 Posts
Do you think it has the original rear? Should be a 12 bolt. Check the code stamped on the frt of the passenger side axle tube. That might give you a clue.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does have a 12 bolt and has multileaf springs. I haven't checked the codes yet, but it is currently geared 3.31 with a posi.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
219 Posts
If the interior has not been re done, then there is probably a broadcast sheet in the seat springs. Look in the back seat upper cushion, it's often found there.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
How many leafs in the leaf springs? 4??

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Hello JimP70SS396;

Welcome to the site.

What build date is your car? (actually I like to get the vitals from your car for the database. VIN, Full trim tag, glass codes, other things a Nova greek like me can use to figure these things out... ;) )

Depending on your build date different things can be on your car.

Willow Run never (that anyones ever seen) stamped the VIN anywhere but on the engine pad by the heads. I would check the cast part number and dates on the engine and heads if you are curious.

I would also like to know the codes from the trans and Axle tube.

Does the car have any original labels or stickers? How about on the springs or wiring harness. If the are still there then pictures would be wonderful. Spring labels would help confim it but 5 leafs = Spring code BK part number 3955740.

If the car is a late in the model year build, you will not find a Fisher Body Build sheet but a computer type card.

Sound like a cool car,

Greg R.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I love stories like this, it's like archaeology for car guys. I hope you find the answers to the origin of your car, regardless of what they are.

It's also really cool to see another Texan here! If you don't mind telling us, where in Texas are you and where did you find the car?

Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
418 Posts
JimP70SS396 said:
It does have dual lines - they appear to be 3/8" and 1/4"

Thanks,
Jim
Judging by what you say about the dual fuel lines and the 3:31 rear gears, it points to being a 350 H.P. L-34 motor originally that came in that car. Could have been switched somewhere along the line. Does it have the heater core lines toward the outboard or toward the engine? If it has the "outboard" outlets and the gears being 3:31 and the fuel lines being 2 lines....it points to the big bock L-34 (350 H.P.) motor.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JTW - I'm in Lubbock. I found the car in Guymon, Oklahoma on a work trip. It was sitting in the alley behind the owner's house, and evidently had been stored there for a while.

I'll get some pictures posted, but I'd like to do some cleanup first. Hopefully I can do that over the next week or so.

I'll also capture all of the numbers and check for the requested tags.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
JimP70SS396 said:
JTW - I'm in Lubbock. I found the car in Guymon, Oklahoma on a work trip. It was sitting in the alley behind the owner's house, and evidently had been stored there for a while.

I'll get some pictures posted, but I'd like to do some cleanup first. Hopefully I can do that over the next week or so.

I'll also capture all of the numbers and check for the requested tags.

Thanks,
Jim
Congrats on the great find Jim, it seems scouring back alleys and yards is the proven method to find these treasures.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, its taken a while to get to work on the Nova. However, I did find the build sheet tonight. I'd appreciate any help you guys could provide in decoding. It reads:

Sequence - 109
Mo - 02
Day - 09
Style - 11427
Plt - WRN
Body Number - 212437 (Consistent with Trim tag)
Trim - 733 (I think - 7 is torn)
Paint - 48/48
PP - 4
Box 1 - A02
Box 2 - A04
Box 3 - A05
Box 4 - A51
Box 5-9 - Empty
Box 10 - D55
Box 11 - ZL3
Box 12 - Z01
Box 14 - 0
Box 15 - 149

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
Jim

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
I was going to mention that you should check inside the upper bucket seat backs for a build sheet too. I've seen them there, and I've also seen (and have) cars come with more than one. Also, if it has the stock carpet in it, That should have a tag too. Not that it's worth anything.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
There should be about 8 locations on that block that have different #'s, some are very hard to see, but each location will tell you 'something' about that block

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm curious ...

various places I've found say the

ZL3 = SS 396 Conversion, while other say

ZL3 = SS Conversion

Obviously, I've like it to be the first. I'm confident its a 396 car, it would just be nice to have confirmation on the paperwork.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
JimP70SS396 said:
Well, its taken a while to get to work on the Nova. However, I did find the build sheet tonight. I'd appreciate any help you guys could provide in decoding. It reads:

Sequence - 109
Mo - 02
Day - 09
Style - 11427
Plt - WRN
Body Number - 212437 (Consistent with Trim tag)
Trim - 733 (I think - 7 is torn)
Paint - 48/48
PP - 4
Box 1 - A02
Box 2 - A04
Box 3 - A05
Box 4 - A51
Box 5-9 - Empty
Box 10 - D55
Box 11 - ZL3
Box 12 - Z01
Box 14 - 0
Box 15 - 149

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
Jim
Congrats on the purchase!

The sequence # is the frame sequence number which ensures that the right body gets the frame with the disc brakes, certain fuel lines, etc...

The month and day, assy plant, and body sequence number is easy.

The Trim 733 denotes as black bucket interior - which a/t indicates 'custom' interior with the woodgrain door panels, carpet, etc...

Paint 48/48 is forest green, top/bottom.

PP 4 = not sure, I read it somewhere but I forget (I have CRS disease!)

A02 = Windshield Glass - Tinted
A04 = Side Windows - Tinted
A05 = Rear Windshield - Tinted
A51 = Front Bucket Seat - Astro Type
D55 = Front Compartment Floor Console
ZL3 = SS Conversion (this code does not indicate the engine option!)
Z01 = Comfort and Convenience Equipment Includes:
* Inside Mirror
* Standard Outside Mirror (except corvette)
* 2 Speed Wiper & Washer (except corvette)
* Back-up Lights
* Glove Box Lamp (except corvette)
* Luggage Lamp (Reg. Pass. only)
* Bottle W/S Washer Fluid (except corvette)
149 = this number should also be on the bottom row of your trim tag, in the far right position (when looking directly at the tag). We speculate that this number indicates a production sequence number, as it rises within the same color/option combination. It's a long story, but suffice to say, it does not indicate specific options.

Also, on the bottom row of the trim tag will be a single letter, (in your case it should be an 'A') indicating that the rest of the interior items (dash pad, door panels, kick panels, headliner, etc... ) will also be black. In addition to that letter, there might be a single number or a space. This number (or space) indicates the number of exterior moldings that will be on the car. A space indicates 'none', otherwise there will be a '1' '2' or a '3' - but never higher than a 3. The possible moldings indicated by this number are; drip rail, door frame, body side and/or rocker.

If you get a chance, let us know what your trim tag codes are. We like to get a feel for what body number ranges are associated with particular build weeks.
M

1 - 20 of 20 Posts