Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just saying in advance I'm a Mustang Guy. ( not sorry :) )
But I just had the opportunity to buy a rust-free 72 Nova SS with everything there ( as far as I know )
It seems to have a bunch of NOS trim too. So I'm going out of my comfort zone into something I'm not familiar with.
I do restoration work but have no idea how to decipher GM. If you wouldn't mind helping me out figuring out the Trim tag.
Also, these cars seem to have a vinyl top which I personally am not a fan of, but would it detract from selling it if I didn't put it on or should I make it original?
The car I think was White, should I keep it white? if so please tell me I should put stripes on it so it's not so plain. what stipes do you recommend?
I doubt the steering wheel is correct, any thoughts?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Hello and welcome to the site!
I'm no expert on Trim Tags... but there are a lot of knowledgeable members here that might be able to help you out. Looks like you have a decent project car to start work on. Please keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Welcome to the site. The trim tag should be deciferable if you google search something like “72 nova trim tag decode” you should be able to find the information.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! it seems i have to strip down the tag, its pretty illegible but did get some info from it.
does anyone know if the steering wheel looks original? for some reason it looks like the ones from the 1980's

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
i just took a steering wheel like that off my nova an put on an original 66 steering wheel. but the one i took off had SS in the center.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks! it seems i have to strip down the tag, its pretty illegible but did get some info from it.
does anyone know if the steering wheel looks original? for some reason it looks like the ones from the 1980's
Hi GM put that steering wheel on 71-76 novas. Also many other sport models up to 81

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
For easy reading - - you can start here : NovaResource

drag u'r mouse over the top section . . . look around - - they have " info about Vin #'s & cowl tag #'s - - - - just find u'r year car .
and, WELCOME to SNS , "Mustang Guy" - - - just kidding , ( may-be) .
glad to have you here . . . .

and, u'r correct - I think that's a later str. wheel - - - several GM type cars . and, no vinyl top (but, it's u'r Nova . . . . make it your's ! ) .. . . . . . . . . jim

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Hey , also - - - u'r cowl tag is kinda hard too read = = = maybe just at that ' angle '.

A straighter picture could help . . . .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome from CT. Nice to see another CT member.

Taking a quick look at your cowl tag. It was a bit hard to decipher with that picture angle but it appears to show that it originally was a v8 car, with black bench seat interior and antique white paint.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Hi all, just saying in advance I'm a Mustang Guy. ( not sorry :) )
But I just had the opportunity to buy a rust-free 72 Nova SS with everything there ( as far as I know )
It seems to have a bunch of NOS trim too. So I'm going out of my comfort zone into something I'm not familiar with.
I do restoration work but have no idea how to decipher GM. If you wouldn't mind helping me out figuring out the Trim tag.
Also, these cars seem to have a vinyl top which I personally am not a fan of, but would it detract from selling it if I didn't put it on or should I make it original?
The car I think was White, should I keep it white? if so please tell me I should put stripes on it so it's not so plain. what stipes do you recommend?
I doubt the steering wheel is correct, any thoughts?

Thanks!!

View attachment 399206 View attachment 399207 View attachment 399208 View attachment 399209 View attachment 399210 View attachment 399211 View attachment 399212 View attachment 399213
Welcome. Glad to have you with us

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
So , Nothing wrong with " White " . . . . .. even, with ' no stripe ' . . . . . . Look at this members 69 White Nova (his posted "69 Nova 2dr" post has pictures : but, they are the
old Photobucket type with the "blur" across them). He also did a Very Nice short u-tube vid . . . . . check it out ;

Andrew Petty 's 1969 Nova :

My 69 is all white - - just wished it would look this good . . . . . . . maybe - - some day . . . . . . . jim

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome from CT. Nice to see another CT member.

Taking a quick look at your cowl tag. It was a bit hard to decipher with that picture angle but it appears to show that it originally was a v8 car, with black bench seat interior and antique white paint.
where in CT are you?
Ill be picking up the car on thursday, so ill get better tag info.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
just picked up the car today and its nicer than i thought, fenders are mint, I have boxes of all sorts of stuff and every piece of trim. The data tag shows its blk interior bucket seats white exterior. I have to say its a real pain in the ass to get to the spark plugs. must be a horror once fenders are in the way. The Evap unit is really close too. The only part I'm missing is the front pass wheel well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The previous owner wanted it this yellow. guess ill have to put it back in prime now

1 - 20 of 24 Posts