Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-

I am about ready for my next car project (I built a 1965 Shelby Cobra replica in 2001) within the next few months and I have decided on a 66-67 Nova project. I am questioning if I have the skills required to achieve what I would like to do (a ground up resto with aftermarket front clip and mini tubs) as I know once I find a project car, it will most likely need floors, quarters, or a trunk pan (or all of the above :rolleyes: ) and I am not a welder nor a body guy. This leads me to my question. Actually 2 questions:

1. Am I nuts to take on a project like this without body and welding skills?
2. One good resource when I was building my cobra was other build sites. Has anyone put together a list of nova project sites I could scour?

Thanks for your help,

Phil

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Welcome to the site Phil!!!! Answers to your questions:
1. Yes. Extra money spent finding a good, solid project will be much, much less espensive than a rusty hunk that needs floor, trunk or quarter replacement, especially if you are going to have to pay somebody to do the work. If you look enough, you will find one that won't need half of the steel replaced.

2. Check out the web links library in the originality forum!!! (there's a link in my signature area!;) ) There are links to other guys projects there, and may have just the information you need. Plus, the guys on this site are very knowledgable, so you can always ask questions!

Randy (we're a fun site too, so watch out for BS!!):rolleyes: :D

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
novanutcase said:
Randy!!!!! Did they let you out again!!!!!!:rolleyes:
Now, why is everybody always picking on me?? I am as pure as the wind-driven snow!!:rolleyes: I don't ever BS!!:D

Randy (now, let's talk about this bridge I have for sale!):D

·
Banned
389 Posts
Nova Project

BustedKnuckles said:
Hi-

I am about ready for my next car project (I built a 1965 Shelby Cobra replica in 2001) within the next few months and I have decided on a 66-67 Nova project. I am questioning if I have the skills required to achieve what I would like to do (a ground up resto with aftermarket front clip and mini tubs) as I know once I find a project car, it will most likely need floors, quarters, or a trunk pan (or all of the above :rolleyes: ) and I am not a welder nor a body guy. This leads me to my question. Actually 2 questions:

1. Am I nuts to take on a project like this without body and welding skills?
2. One good resource when I was building my cobra was other build sites. Has anyone put together a list of nova project sites I could scour?

Thanks for your help,

Phil
Without welding or bodywork skills, be prepared to lay out some serious cash to have the work done for you. Plus the cost of all the parts you want to use.
You may be better off money and timewise finding/buying something close to the way you want it, and do a few things to make it "just the way you want it".
Just my 2 bucks; have you seen the price of gas lately!

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
SparkysSS said:
Without welding or bodywork skills, be prepared to lay out some serious cash to have the work done for you.
Unless of course your interested on getting the tools and learning along the way, that's what I did. I've always been interested in cars, but never attempted any resto or body work until I got my '65 two years ago. You can check the link at my signature to see some of the progress. It's been great fun so far, learning as I go.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Your plan sounds identical to mine, 65 ;) I like to do everything myself...I may not know what Im doing when I start, but Ill damn sure know how to do it by the time I get through! lol To me, thats the only way to learn, not to mention its a great way to acquire new tools along the way :D
I say GO FOR IT, Phil!!! You may not be a welder or a body guy NOW, but.......;)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Checkout my old website for some pics and info. There may be some unforseen aliens lurking under your nova body that you may not be aware of. Ever see the unforseen change when some attractive looking lady takes off her make-up. Nova's have the same visual after some of the cosmetic beauty paint and bondo is removed, yuk...Phil

http://photos.yahoo.com/plsmswain

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input

I appreciate the feedback and links. Very inspring stuff! With the exception of those window pillars in your photo album Phil...that just looked downright scary! :eek:

I am thinking I might try and take a welding class. Bodywork seems to be more of an "art" form so I will leave that to an expert as I did with my Cobra build. If I can at least get to the point where I can lay down a decent weld to do my own floor and trunk pans, I would be willing to pay for the bodywork to have it done right.

Any recommendations on where to take a welding class?

Also, this '67 in just about an hour North of me...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4641015699

...any thoughts on it?

Phil

·
Registered
861 Posts
Well personally I would not be paying $5,500 for that 67. Take a look closely at the rust at the cowl area just below the front windshield. It appears to have significant rust there and to be sure the lower pillars are probably like mine. Also the rust in the rocker panel is evident of more rust within the lower door jambs. The rust in the floor board is common but it usually evidence that the area behind the kick panels is rusted as well as the area sheetmetal between the fender and kick panel.
This car rust areas could be worst than mine was. I would suggest to pass on this one and look for another. But if you perfer this one at least bargin with the owner for you'll be looking at many body sheet metal dolllar items and lots of labor cost. Bet the rear window area is rusted as well.
IMO that car is worth less than half the price asking. Good luck...Phil

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
Man Phil, you had some major aliens lurking beneath!:eek: I thought I had some bad spots. Makes mine look good.
I would definitley check things out real well before you buy. I was told mine was rust free except where the battery was in the trunk. And I thought I went over it really well. Seems I find more and more as I go. Hopefully it will all be gone once I get it media blasted.
Then I'm going to have to learn top weld and fabricate. Good thing I'm in no big hurry.
Anyway, check with your local community college. They usually have classes. You may even be able to bring it in to practice on.
Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts