Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I recently got out of the military and came home and decided that my dad and I needed a project. I bought a 1973 Nova. Its got a 402 big block with
3" stainless Magnaflow exhaust, Holley carb, gear drive timing, three speed on the floor.... The body is in primer and the interior needs to be redone. I have had it about a month and have already started doing some restore to it. I attached some pics. It is very nice to meet ya'll and ill be needing you guys for some helpful hints and advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
here is the repaint I have done to the motor they had painted on rust/grease, I was unable to pull engine so I did my best stripping paint cleaning and repainting. Plus the one picture shows the dull dirty chipped paint around engine and the break booster being dull and then the next picture shows the repainting that I have done. I don't have money to paint the outside yet or finish interior but doing what I can to make it look better. First car show the 17th haha. I know she isn't much yet but least people will see it slowly being restored.. Comments are greatly appreciated!! thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Hello and thank you for your service to this country. Welcome to the site and I hope you enjoy all the nice people and there Nova's?

PS I love that cog belt set up you have on your motor. were did you get it? or did it come with the car?

David :cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a Gilmore belt drive? It came with car... it looks nice.. but the guy I bought car off of decided he wanted out of project and put car back together with one bolt on each piece :bored: when the car is running it throws the alternator belt on top to the outside of pulley not off but it ridge the rim and is tearing the belt. I know it is an alignment thing we have tried putting washers behind... taking washers off... putting 2 on, ect.... here when I took alternator off to paint engine.. he didn't have bracket attached on back, the alternator was just on the bolt that was into engine, I don't know if this could have caused a bouncing motion and would vibrate back to being out of alignment.. who knows .. but I placed a bolt in the back where it should have been and hooked her back up, having started her up to see if she throws to outside still.. still painting haha. seems never ending. I heard (I really don't have a clue) that the v-belt drive system is easier on the alternator and water pump plus it looks pretty haha.. but getting it aligned up is not my specialty. With some work I know ill get it. also they say to run the v-belts a little looser then your reg pulley/belt systems cause that can cause it to throw it out.. who knows.. haha that is why I am here. :-D

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Welcome to the site. Glad to have you with us. We have other female members on here that are usually very talkative but have been quite lately. They will welcome you as soon as they notice you are here.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
dickson9490

If you ever want to get rid of the belt drive system? Let me know because I like to see if it will work with a motor i'm putting together? :yes:

Thanks,

David :cool:

PS you have a nice looking car :yes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you very much I think it is a great start to a project. I know you can get the drive kits on ebay pretty decent. I am hoping to get this one straightened out haha. Fingers crossed. Thanks again every one!!

Britt

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Welcome. Nice project and glad to hear that you and Dad are in it together. My daughter is a Pitt alumni and I remember driving through Templeton. Nice country. Enjoy your car. Thanks for your service, what branch? I was a medic in the Navy.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts

Welcome and Hi , looks like a great project piece , just take your time, do it right the 1st. time, then you won't have to do it again. skinnydude

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Welcome and thank you for your service!

In case you didn't know, your stock front suspension is almost identical to a 1st gen Camaro. That being said, 1st gen Camaros have a ton of aftermarket support so if you decide you want to build a better handling ride, the parts and info are out there ready to bolt in.

John

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks all! I was a space system operator in the airforce. Joined at 17 and got out at 21. Dad has had cars he worked on his whole life and I was always involved the only difference this time is that its coming out of my bank account. Haha. Its great being able to spend time with him with something he enjoys and I do. Only thing is he thinks big quick.. lol. I want to get her running good all fixed up and then go from there and then sup her up. The carb right now is running a little rich, holly carb. Got to get it adjusted after that she is purring like a kitten. Its still set up just unibody, we bought some frame connectors to put under... only thing I don't like is having to cut the tub to put them in. I know that sounds like a simple job for some.. but its just a worry in I hope it goes well haha. Thanks again every body and thanks for all the great comments you all have really nice cars. I feel this buy was a great buy and a great start to a project just needs some tlc.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts