Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, great to be part of this crowd, thanks! Just purchased the classic gramma car, a 69 green 4 door with a 250 I-6 and Power Glide on eBay. It is a 2 owner car but has been in storage (inside) for 20 years. Not a basket case but definitely needs attention. Not currently running but was in running condition when stored.

One thing I noticed is that the steering wheel appears to be a 1971 version with a soft rubber horn pad. I'm fairly certain that the 69 and 70 models only had the hard plastic version with the horn buttons on the outside edges. I wouldn't mind except that the wheel is pretty cracked up so if I'm gonna get a new one it should be correct. Also, in some 60's GM models the steering wheels for the full sized versions were a bit larger than the mid sized and compact cars. (My 68 GTO had a different sized steering wheel- slightly smaller- than a Catalina for example.) Were there different sizes for these 69-70 Chevy steering wheels?

Haven't picked the car up yet but I'm wondering if I should mess with the original 250 or find a later 350 with a TH350 and overdrive? I remember driving a buddy's 72 Chevy pickup (had a 250 with 3 speed manual trans) when we were in college and a road trip from MN to NY about did the little 250 in after driving it at freeway speeds.

Thanks in advance for any answers, comments and suggestions!

Louie in Ithaca NY

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Welcome. Glad you joined in with us. If it was me it would be the 350 but thats just me. A lot of people like the 6 clys.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
:welcome: to Steve's Nova Site!! Glad to have you here!!

BUT.....................:worthless:

:pics: of your 69 Nova!!

:ragtop:

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Welcome to the site. Good luck with your new Nova. If I couldn't win the auction at least the car went to a good home:yes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks Novajet, sorry I was crazy enough to outbid you but you are likely better off anyway. Gonna be a big project for sure. I've been emailing with the owner and he sure seems like a good guy. He's been very helpful and patient with all my questions!

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I really didn't need it, I just happened to see it on Friday morning and put a bid in before work because it was only 1.5 hours from me. I was surprised to see it on here. Have fun with the new project. Are you going to Minneapolis to pick it up?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya I have family out there so I'm planning a trip out some time in Sept. The plan is to get it up to my folks house where I can work on it. Should be interesting!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts