Chevy Nova Forum banner

321 - 340 of 399 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #321
So how tall do the valve covers need to be? Current is 2 29/64 ish without gasket.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Now that's a question I really don't know....I put tall covers on everything LOL.
In the past short(stock height) covers would not typically clear roller rocker arms....but head manufacturers have started raising the valve cover rail and it may not be an issue anymore.
Tallest point is either going to be rocker body out near the valve tip when valve is closed or the top of the poly lock adjuster...get things set up and use a straight edge to get a measurement point out over the cover rail and see.

Back when short covers wouldn't fit over roller rockers and stock low cast valve cover rails, just a double gasket was often enough to make it fit.....so with the modernn heads you may have plenty of clearance with a short cover.
I have seen it mentioned on another web site that the Speedway/Flo-Tek Double hump look-alike head he was using wouldn't allow the stock early long style Frigidaire Air Conditioner pump and brackets to fit, the raised valve cover rail on the aluminum heads made thestock finned scrypt cover sit too tall for that. He was going to have the cover rail milled down since whe wanted a totally stock look with that Speedway Double Hump Clone head.

Don't forget about the baffle that goes under the breather hole, make sure it doesn't hit a rocker arm.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #324
I'm buying tall covers. And I also am buying the push rod measuring tool. Which one should I get?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Since you went hydraulic roller, it will be the 6.500"-7.500" version because they have shorter pushrods than flat tappet.

The 7.600-8.500" would be the flat tappet length checker. It will be too long to check hydraulic roller.

You're going to end up somewhere between 7.300" and 7.400" with your set-up, most likely...7.450" at the most.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Thought he said he was going with flat tappet ???
Post #270 (page 14)shows Howards Retro-fit hydro roller #111145-10 cam and lifter package, cam button, aluminum timing cover, etc ordered, and pages followitng that questions about assembly lube needs for roller cam and lifters, soakng lifter rollers, cam button clearance, etc.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
Ok. I have parts at the ready. Do I need to check the pushrod height and get them ordered before i do anything else? Or what is first?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
You could do the pushrods with the cam and crank in and put the head on and check for length.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Ok. I have parts at the ready. Do I need to check the pushrod height and get them ordered before i do anything else? Or what is first?
I've lost track of where you are at in the process ..cam in and degree'd already?? if not degree'd, that would be first step, then set-up for pushrod length determination....from there would then just be final assembly.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #335
I've lost track of where you are at in the process ..cam in and degree'd already?? if not degree'd, that would be first step, then set-up for pushrod length determination....from there would then just be final assembly.
Ok. Degreeing the the cam is my next step then.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I forgot one step, piston to valve clearance check would be after cam degree and pushrod length measurement....so don't get carried away and bolt the head down final yet.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #337
I forgot one step, piston to valve clearance check would be after cam degree and pushrod length measurement....so don't get carried away and bolt the head down final yet.
Ahh yes. How could we forget!! When I do the valve clearance check do I need to use every bolt to mount the head?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Ahh yes. How could we forget!! When I do the valve clearance check do I need to use every bolt to mount the head?
Nope, just a couple mildly snug around the cylinder you are going to check. You don't need to compress the gasket or anything like that....if .005" of gasket compression was going to make any difference you have a problem anyway.

321 - 340 of 399 Posts