Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which wiring harness would you guys recommend? I don't know if I want to go with Painless because of the price. I was looking at the EZ 21 Wiring harness. Its only $130 and it looks the same. I have also looked at Ron Francis kits but I like the stock looking fuse block. Does anyone have the Painless harness? What do you guys think? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
well here's my 2 cents
my dad and father-in-law do a lot of peoples cars and they have put in quite a few wiring harnesses in vehicles...they have used painless, ron francis, ez, and hot rod wiring...their complaints were that r.f. was a little more complicated to work with and very expensive, painless was good, but again pricey...hot rod wiring and ez wiring were their favorites...when it came down to do my nova, i did ez wiring...no problems...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thats good.
I think I am going to go with EZ they seem pretty good. About how long did it take you? I am taking a two week vacation in july and I want to knock it out then. Will that be enough time?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm actually installing an ez right now in my 72. Pretty straight forward. Once you remove the old one it could be done in a weekend. Helps to have a good wiring schematic.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just finished installin my painless kit. That is exactly what it is. PAINLESS. all the wires are marked every 5 inches. took a little while to complete because i didnt use any plastic connectors, i soldered and heat shrinked EVERYTHING. But it was very, very simple. I would recomend this kit to anyone if you got the extra denero to thow at it. Its worth every penny of it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The EZ harness labels every wire as well, so there is no question as to where it's going. And the instructions make everything pretty clear.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Id say a weekend or so should just about be enough time...I soldered and shrinked everything as well and with me and my dad i think starting friday night, the car was going again by sunday night....Ez harness is labeled just like the painless...very easy to follow...again. just like it says EZ:D

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
i did the ez 18 circuit universal, it is a very nice kit, only thing is i had to figure out what went where, its not (at least in my situation) cut and dry but that was to be expected...but the tech for them is super nice and really really knows the product...we have used a lot of the other kits, but for the money the decision is EZ

·
Registered
26 Posts
Direct fit?

I'm glad I found you guys talking about EZ wiring. I'm trying to find out if the EZ wiring fuse block fits into the stock location or if another location is needed. I'm sure you guys would know. Thanks for the help
-Steve

·
Registered
13 Posts
I JB welded a 4x4 piece of sheet metal in the old block area of the firewall, I cut a hole in the sheet metal large enough for the rubber grommet to fit to run the wires through, then secured the new block next to th old spot. Hope this helps

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well guys I decided to go the other direction and I bought a 16 fuse harness from centech I will post picks. Total it was about $260 the guys know what the are talking about and the fuse block and all the wiring is top notch and thicker than stock. The only thing I have to change is the alternator (one wire) I will let you know how the install goes and I will post picks of the kit also. I cannot belive it has everything. Even the correct clips for the head lights.

·
Registered
801 Posts
How'd the wire install go???

I'm very curious to see some pictures, i have to rewire my nova and have no idea where to start.

you stated that the centech came with all the connectors, does that include the one for the back of the ignition switch??? When i pulled my old wires, this connector was completely fried and i can't find a new one.

Do any of the other kits come with any of the proper connections??

What about modification of the kits? is it easy to add another circuit for an aftermarket radio? Electric fan? Electric water pump??

Thanks much, pictures would be greatly appreciated 71novacaine!!

Thanks!

p.s. never heard of centech...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I have used several of the universal/custom kits you guys are talking about and they all were nice kits with a few +/-. On the stock/original type re-wires, we have started using the "Factory Fit" harnesses from American Autowire. We've had good enough luck with them that we decided to become a dealer for them. Wires are color coded, with factory style connectors, and built according to the original wiring schematics. They also have options available for single wire alternators, HEI distributors, etc. Just an option to keep in mind.

·
Registered
801 Posts
is there a significant cost difference between a "factory fit" harness (all the bells and whistles.. hei, electric fan, electric water pump) and a universal? furthermore, does factory fit allow for future addition of circuits, or easy modification down the road?

·
Registered
7 Posts
im using a Kwik Wire harness right now. I got it from UPS at noon and by 4 o clcok I was about half way done. I also soldered it too. Instructions are easy and so far it has gained better results than my previous harness I was trying to put in,,,,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts