Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My name is Mike and I have a brown 1970 Nova. This story starts all the way back in 2006 when I got my license and started driving my Dad's vehicles. He traveled a lot for work and I was a little hell raiser and I would take his cars out for joy rides while he was gone. from 06-08 I was beating on his lovely selection of cars. In that time frame he had a lot of really awesome cars like his 2005 Ram SRT10,or his 1970 Chevelle and his 1970 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible, as well as a 2007? Mustang GT500. As you can see, he had really nice things that he wanted to enjoy. He would do an occasional burnout in his driveway but for the most part he didn't really use the cars to their potential. Well being 16-18 years old, I had no problem doing that for him. He finally decided that we would build a car for me to actually beat on.

So he found this 1970 Nova in California with the original 1970 plates still on it. It was a very clean car that was in solid shape. On the front fenders behind the tires way down low there was a rust hole about the size of a half dollar on both passenger and drivers side. We welded in a piece of sheet steel, sanded it down and painted the bottom 4" or so black down the whole car. That was the only body work needed on it. Once that was done we started prepping it for drag racing. We put on QA1 front coil overs and sway bars; Global West tubular a arms; GM Performance ZZ383 engine; Tremec TKO 5 speed; Moser rear end; fuel cell; moved the battery to the trunk and various other odds and ends. We had it up and running ready to race at the beginning of 2009.

Drag racing in the car was pretty cool and all, but neither of us have any knowledge or experience in drag racing so it didn't really stay fun for very long. For the most part it's just been a street machine. For the first 5 years or so we only ever had the skinny fronts and Mickey E/T's on the rear. We finally decided to get some wrinkle walls for it and because of not being legal anymore we threw on some Crager's from his '55 Belair for driving around in. I didn't make it a block from his garage before I fell in love with the car all over again. You see, the car didn't handle worth a crap before. The front tires prvided nearly no traction at all and because of that I could barely turn the car. It was always wanting to push in every turn. Well with these new, much fatter tires, I was able to accidentally throw myself into the passenger side of the car. (Slick vinyl bench seat and I hung onto the wheel because I didn't know how to actually react lol). Ever since I've only gone to the drag strip once and my main focus now is I want to turn it into a Pro Touring type car.

I'm now looking at putting A/C back into it and getting some decent wheels and tires for road course racing. Last year My dad and I drove her almost 2,000 miles to go on the Hot Rod Power Tour. This year I'm hoping to put A/C back in the car and be able to go on it again. Before last year, the furthest away from home she had been was about 20 miles to the local drag strip. We also installed a 2" receiver so we could pull a Uhaul motorcycle trailer with his mobility scooter inside it. At 27, this year I ponied up and officially bought the car from my dad so I'm able to call her mine!

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Welcome to the site :yes: I'm sure other members will chime in on what you wrote and recommend what set up to use. :D

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Welcome to SNS ...... Mike

Glad that you're here with u'r cool Nova ....

jim
with just a '69 250 six - 5 speed car .......... but ......... It's very FUN, and all mine ..... :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts