Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello fellow Nova owners. I had many ss novas in the late 60s and early 70s..I decided as a retirement gift I would get another. Keeping in mind of the cash on hand I decided on a clone. My question to all you guys and gals is driving comfort. The car has seriously loud exhaust with suspension upgrade. I think the rear ratio is 3.73? Ford Explorer. Long time since I Had a cool car, 1966 big block corvette, As the corvette was this would not be very comfortable on a longer trip. The exhaust is 3". I have driven friends cool cars and they are not a comfortable ride either. Are there softer running gear mounts? The car looks great and runs strong. the guy who put it together did a good job. Was Goodrich all around. Also has air shocks with 10 lbs. Any ideas? thanks! this is a great site. Stay safe folks!

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
welcome to the nova site. an the of luck with your new nova, enjoy the cruise.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Sorry. I don't know how to edit previous question
Hey Smokey, welcome to SNS! Your new toy sounds awesome. Classic colours and many of us here are big fans of the vinyl roof look. Does a lot for the overall 'cool factor' of the 3rd Gens, I think.

To edit your posts, within 10 minutes of posting you simply click-on the 3 vertically arranged dots on the upper right hand corner of your post, then follow the yellow brick road with a SAVE when your done. Save is located at the lower centre of the posting box.

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
2,015 Posts
I'm a big fan of the 3:73 gears but if you like cruising 60-70+ mph your need some kind of overdrive. You can put different gears in it but it will take away some of your low end take off power. Many of these cars came with 3:08 gears. I know my 68 did. 3" exhaust is overkill for your exhaust. Your car may perform better with something a little smaller. The folks at SNS really like pictures. We are always anxious to see your ride.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Smokey, welcome to SNS! Your new toy sounds awesome. Classic colours and many of us here are big fans of the vinyl roof look. Does a lot for the overall 'cool factor' of the 3rd Gens, I think.

To edit your posts, within 10 minutes of posting you simply click-on the 3 vertically arranged dots on the upper right hand corner of your post, then follow the yellow brick road with a SAVE when your done. Save is located at the lower centre of the posting box.
thanks. born 1952 my computer skills are a bog fat O!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks. I
I'm a big fan of the 3:73 gears but if you like cruising 60-70+ mph your need some kind of overdrive. You can put different gears in it but it will take away some of your low end take off power. Many of these cars came with 3:08 gears. I know my 68 did. 3" exhaust is overkill for your exhaust. Your car may perform better with something a little smaller. The folks at SNS really like pictures. We are always anxious to see your ride.
am comparing it to modern day vehicles that I cruse 70-80 mph. I feel better about this condition since you answered. Pictures coming soon. Thanks again!

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,536 Posts
Hello and welcome to the site! I removed my air shocks and installed gas charged shocks several years ago and the overall ride/comfort was much better after that change. I agree that 3" exhaust is a little overkill. Maybe a 2.5" exhaust with some quieter turbo mufflers. I also agree that an overdrive trans would be a beneficial upgrade if you plan to keep the 3.73 rear gears and plan to do some highway driving.

P.S. I like your avatar photo (y)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello and welcome to the site! I removed my air shocks and installed gas charged shocks several years ago and the overall ride/comfort was much better after that change. I agree that 3" exhaust is a little overkill. Maybe a 2.5" exhaust with some quieter turbo mufflers. I also agree that an overdrive trans would be a beneficial upgrade if you plan to keep the 3.73 rear gears and plan to do some highway driving.

P.S. I like your avatar photo (y)
Thanks. that pic is of the BEST FRIEND EVER at our home Good info. I am trying to figure out how to add pics.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,536 Posts
I am trying to figure out how to add pics.
A lot of helpful information is listed within the FAQ section of this forum.
For information on how you can add photos to a discussion, click on the 3 dots next to your avatar in the upper banner > a drop down menu will appear, then click on FAQ.

Scroll down to "How To Upload Images To Posts" and click on it.
Detailed information on this subject will appear (screen shots shown in Dark Mode).

·
Registered
725 Posts
Welcome! And id agree with everything said, a OD tranny would be best for what it sounds like you want, and there's many muffler choices that will quite it up if its a bit to loud.
Sounds like a sweet ride

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome! And id agree with everything said, a OD tranny would be best for what it sounds like you want, and there's many muffler choices that will quite it up if its a bit to loud.
Sounds like a sweet ride

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Thanks so much. This group of great guys are awesome. Thanks all for your support!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts