Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 67 wagon "project" and am going to bag it, with the TCI front clip with airbags how low will the car sit deflated? if anyone has pics of this kit installed and laid down i would love to see how low it goes and how much travel you get from top to bottom of the travel.

Thank you in advance

·
Vendor
1,433 Posts
You have two options from us. The MII front end with a double convoluted bag will have a little bit more overall travel but will have a slightly higher full drop height and not as much ground clearance. The P/T clip however will have a bunch of ground clearance and a slightly lower ride height and a little less overall travel and uses a Ridetech shockwave. There will be a roughly $1800 difference between the two.

Here is a MII aired down. The P/T clip will be down another inch from here and still have more clearance from the cross member to the ground.

-J

·
Registered
212 Posts
J, very nice looking car. I'm not a big fan of large diameter wheels, but that red and the polished or chrome wheels look really nice.

I have a question about front ends in general.

Coming from a streetrod background and lots of coilovers, what is the basic setup on suspension travel? Do you set up and 1/3 drop to ride height and then have 2/3 for compression and 1/3 for rebound?

That's how all of the coilovers I've ever played with as well as high dollar rear shocks for bikes.

For a driving ride height, do you do the same compression/rebound on air bags?

Thanks in advance and again, a VERY nice looking car in the pictures...

·
Vendor
1,433 Posts
J, very nice looking car. I'm not a big fan of large diameter wheels, but that red and the polished or chrome wheels look really nice.

I have a question about front ends in general.

Coming from a streetrod background and lots of coilovers, what is the basic setup on suspension travel? Do you set up and 1/3 drop to ride height and then have 2/3 for compression and 1/3 for rebound?

That's how all of the coilovers I've ever played with as well as high dollar rear shocks for bikes.

For a driving ride height, do you do the same compression/rebound on air bags?

Thanks in advance and again, a VERY nice looking car in the pictures...
We try to set the shocks up as close to 50% as possible. Many of these vehicles are very low so we are really limited how much compression there can be. There are some instances where we will stray from the 50% but it is usually on a one dimensional build. Like say a leaf spring or ladder bar Drag car which needs a bunch of droop in the front end. The same basic premis is applied to an air spring suspension.

The one thing many users make the mistake of is driving around with too much air in the bags to keep the car up high. Not only dooes this keep the geometry out of the desired range but it also puts extra stress on the bags. We want the lower control arms parallel to the ground regardless of a coil spring, coil-over or air bag.

-J

·
Registered
212 Posts
We try to set the shocks up as close to 50% as possible. Many of these vehicles are very low so we are really limited how much compression there can be. There are some instances where we will stray from the 50% but it is usually on a one dimensional build. Like say a leaf spring or ladder bar Drag car which needs a bunch of droop in the front end. The same basic premis is applied to an air spring suspension.

The one thing many users make the mistake of is driving around with too much air in the bags to keep the car up high. Not only dooes this keep the geometry out of the desired range but it also puts extra stress on the bags. We want the lower control arms parallel to the ground regardless of a coil spring, coil-over or air bag.

-J
J, thank you for your reply.

So for a daily driver with a fixed ride height coilover front end, you would size the coilover stroke to allow 1/2 compression and 1/2 rebound with the lower control arms parallel with the ground?

Thanks again.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
why not just stay sprung, set the arms parallel and drive it, park it & show it at the same ride height? you can use a drop spindle if desired and adjust height with coil-overs... what's the purpose of the bags?

;) not trying to argue, understand the reasons for front end alignment... it's the correct answer but some do bag the car then drive above or below optimum alignment specs... yes?

or is the actual ride comfort that much better with bags?

·
Registered
8 Posts
What size wheels are on the red car? Do you have any pics of the rear setup and perhaps some close up of the front bags inflated and deflated, I am curious about the bag clearance with the frame?

·
Vendor
1,433 Posts
What size wheels are on the red car? Do you have any pics of the rear setup and perhaps some close up of the front bags inflated and deflated, I am curious about the bag clearance with the frame?

These pics were sent to me a few years back so I don't remember all the details. There are three different wheel packages on the car in those pictures. I don't know what all the widths are but from the looks of it the smallest front wheel is a 18" and the biggest rear wheel is a 20".

The double convoluted will sit closer to the frame than the shockwave just because the lower pickup point is farther in on the MII front end. There is still plenty of clearance on either application.

The rear is our 4-link with shockwaves.

This is the only other picture I have of the car.

-J

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you very much for the pictures. I really like that setup

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
230 Posts
I love that ride height of the car. I currently have your TCI Mii front clip as well. it was on the car when I purchased it.. I'm wanting to do bags all the way around and wanted to know which ones you guys recommended for my application? Also is the rear on that car bagged? I have a ladder bars with coil over on mine... I might just keep the ladder bars on and do bags to get the ride height.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts