Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I live in the western 'burbs of Chicagoland. Relocated here for work recently and needed a hobby. I figured a 1968 Nova would do the trick. It's about 80-85% of the way done and just waiting for me to put my stamp on it. I have been researching different aspects of restoring a car on Google and I kept ending up here, so I joined. I look forward to being part of the site.

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Hi all. I live in the western 'burbs of Chicagoland. Relocated here for work recently and needed a hobby. I figured a 1968 Nova would do the trick. It's about 80-85% of the way done and just waiting for me to put my stamp on it. I have been researching different aspects of restoring a car on Google and I kept ending up here, so I joined. I look forward to being part of the site.
Welcome Nutz,

Post some pics. We love pics around here.

What are your ultimate goals for the car?

John

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! Ultimate goals? Hmmm... Good question. Mainly just go to cruises and the occasional drag strip session. I have a few things that need to be taken care of first. There are no gauges (even the speedometer is disconnected). The headliner needs to be installed. The weather stripping in the doors needs to be installed. Most of the chrome needs to be installed. There's a minor oil leak coming from somewhere around the drive shaft after a cruise (4-5 drips) but it doesn't leak at all after it cools down. There's no PCV Valve going from the valve cover to the carb but I'm not sure if this is due to the carb scoop (line is capped at the carb and a rubber grommet in the valve cover). Is that normal? I'm sure I've screwed up some of the terminology because I'm far from a mechanic but that's what I'm here for ...to learn from you wise gentlemen.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Nutz,

NICE car !!!

I'm wondering why (maybe somebody will chime in) the valve covers don't have a breather.... If you run her long enough, won't the oil eventually seep out SOMEWHERE ??? Hm... Just wondering...

Anyways, nice engine bay > could use a little color (red) here and there to pimp it up a little :)

Have fun with her - looks great !!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...and women! Thanks Darlene!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks guys! Ultimate goals? Hmmm... Good question. Mainly just go to cruises and the occasional drag strip session. I have a few things that need to be taken care of first. There are no gauges (even the speedometer is disconnected). The headliner needs to be installed. The weather stripping in the doors needs to be installed. Most of the chrome needs to be installed. There's a minor oil leak coming from somewhere around the drive shaft after a cruise (4-5 drips) but it doesn't leak at all after it cools down. There's no PCV Valve going from the valve cover to the carb but I'm not sure if this is due to the carb scoop (line is capped at the carb and a rubber grommet in the valve cover). Is that normal? I'm sure I've screwed up some of the terminology because I'm far from a mechanic but that's what I'm here for ...to learn from you wise gentlemen.

Welcome to the site! Nice Nova! About that valve cover. There should be a breather in there. You can at least use a standalone one that doesnt have a hose coming off it. Can't see what you have on the passenger side cover. You can use something like this.
Otherwise you are probably going to have an oily mess around that hole.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Darlene's post got me thinking about the correlation between the slight oil leak and the plug I currently have in there. So i did a little digging on this site. It sounds like having the hole plugged affects the pressure leading to oil seepage elsewhere. I was left with one question "is this hole for a breather or a pcv valve?". Thank you Darlene for bringing it to my attention - I actually thought that hole had something to do with vaccum and leaving it open would be a performance issue so I plugged it where there was a grommet with a hole in the middle there before.

Thank you Malanthius for answering my final question! My breather is actually on the other valve cover, just out of site in the picture, so this one must be for the pcv valve? Its my understanding that I can leave it open but that will cause issues with having to change the oil more often, sludge, and a dirty engine bay. I think I'll run to the store and purchase a pcv valve and call it a day. Or at least see if this fixes the oil leak (fingers crossed). Wow, this site is amazing! Thanks again. I hope that as I learn I'm able to pass this knowledge on to others to return the favor in a round about way.

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
TO SNS , :waving:

:cool pics: GLAD TO HAVE YOU WITH US,
ENJOY THE SITE!
:thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts