Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Nova fans! Read the site frequently and joined up a while back but haven't had a chance to introduce. My name is Terry and my partner in crime is my wife Angie. We are both dedicated car nuts of the GM variety. We own 3 hot rods, The Nova, '65 Malibu SS, '06 Z06 and 2 GM drivers. We are located in a small town just south of Houston, TX. The current project is the '67 Nova SS clone that we bought last December. "We" weren't looking too hard ("I" was!) when I ran across this car. The previous owner had done a restomod on it. He had virtually every panel other than the firewall replaced and the car sprayed in black with all new SS trim & chrome. It included an LS1, TKO 5 speed, 12 bolt, TCI coli over front clip, Covan's dash, new repop SS interior, all new glass. When we got it the intention was to drive it for the rest of the season then do it "our way". Well we all know how plans get changed...:eek:. It was pretty quick but drove like an old 60's Econoline van! So we put it up on the stands for a thorough inspection. The realization was that everything (body/paint) that the previous owner paid to have done was done properly. Pretty much everything he did in his garage was...ummm not so good :(. It was at that point the decision was made to dive in and do it over the way we wanted. Everything was stripped from the shell except for the glass. We are now going back per our vision which is basically what I call "Pro-Touring with a Vintage vibe". We can't throw down the green for a pro built car nor is that what we want. We want it built in our shop with a reasonable budget (everyone has their own opinion of what reasonable is, another discussion for another day!). We (Angie) started a blog to track the build, www.67novaproject.blogspot.com . Take a look for more details if you like. For now it is pics with a few captions. I plan to go back and add more commentary when we are done with the build, don't want to take time away from the build! We started the build in May with hopes of making Good Guys in October but at this point I figure we will be more like the end of the year. Oh well there is a Spring show too.

Would enjoy meeting up with other Nova/II fans in the Houston area!

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Hello Nova fans! Read the site frequently and joined up a while back but haven't had a chance to introduce. My name is Terry and my partner in crime is my wife Angie. We are both dedicated car nuts of the GM variety. We own 3 hot rods, The Nova, '65 Malibu SS, '06 Z06 and 2 GM drivers. We are located in a small town just south of Houston, TX. The current project is the '67 Nova SS clone that we bought last December. "We" weren't looking too hard ("I" was!) when I ran across this car. The previous owner had done a restomod on it. He had virtually every panel other than the firewall replaced and the car sprayed in black with all new SS trim & chrome. It included an LS1, TKO 5 speed, 12 bolt, TCI coli over front clip, Covan's dash, new repop SS interior, all new glass. When we got it the intention was to drive it for the rest of the season then do it "our way". Well we all know how plans get changed...:eek:. It was pretty quick but drove like an old 60's Econoline van! So we put it up on the stands for a thorough inspection. The realization was that everything (body/paint) that the previous owner paid to have done was done properly. Pretty much everything he did in his garage was...ummm not so good :(. It was at that point the decision was made to dive in and do it over the way we wanted. Everything was stripped from the shell except for the glass. We are now going back per our vision which is basically what I call "Pro-Touring with a Vintage vibe". We can't throw down the green for a pro built car nor is that what we want. We want it built in our shop with a reasonable budget (everyone has their own opinion of what reasonable is, another discussion for another day!). We (Angie) started a blog to track the build, www.67novaproject.blogspot.com . Take a look for more details if you like. For now it is pics with a few captions. I plan to go back and add more commentary when we are done with the build, don't want to take time away from the build! We started the build in May with hopes of making Good Guys in October but at this point I figure we will be more like the end of the year. Oh well there is a Spring show too.

Would enjoy meeting up with other Nova/II fans in the Houston area!
Welcome to steves!!

Lots of sns members in the houston area...my younger brother lives in houston!!I also have a black 67...its my baby!!
question....why do you have your car covered in paper like that?Just curious?bm

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Batman09 - Thanks for the welcome! The paper is 3m welding and spark deflection paper. It's kinda like contact paper. We put it on there to protect the paint during the welding and grinding, etc. Stole the idea from the DSE project pics. Hopefully it will be coming off soon!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Terry thats one super clean 67! Gorgeous! You look like you have some very miticulous and clean work habbits:) Wish I was like you!:yes: I like that block idea for the wheels...Never thought of that!

Welcome to SNS. Ill be following your progress around on that car! Excited to see it come along. Looks great so far!
:welcome:

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Batman09 - Thanks for the welcome! The paper is 3m welding and spark deflection paper. It's kinda like contact paper. We put it on there to protect the paint during the welding and grinding, etc. Stole the idea from the DSE project pics. Hopefully it will be coming off soon!
I like that idea!!Im gonna use it on my next project!!Does the green tape have a use time?I know the blue has a 2 week time....after that it leaves adhesive on the paint.
Ps that is one beautiful car!!Can't wait to see it done!!

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
Nice shop!

I was going to ask about the paper covering also... good idea!

Can't wait to see it period... finished or not!:devil:

Thanks for sharing!

Mark

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Batman09 - The green 3m tape is made just for automotive paint. I'm not sure how long it's rated for, but we have left it on for extended periods of time (months) and whatever residue was left easily came off with some WD-40 and a towel. We bought the roll of welding paper online for about $90 including shipping. Still have 1/3 roll left so a roll would easily do a large car. Great stuff!

ChevyIIMD - Thanks for the kudos on the shop! We just finished it. Took about a year, start to finish.

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
TO SNS , :waving:

SOUNDS LIKE YA GOT A NICE :chev: RIDE
PICS ARE HIGHLY DESIRED AND ENCOURAGED, GLAD TO HAVE YOU WITH US,
ENJOY THE SITE!
:thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts