Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum. I have wanted to restore a muscle car for quite sometime now and finally decided on a 3rd Generation Nova. I have to say it’s a bit overwhelming trying to find one. I live in Omaha, NE. I’ve been looking online, but it seems that finding one within driving distance to check out is a bit difficult. I’m looking to spend around $5-$8k. In a perfect world, I would like something that is currently running and with as little rust as possible!! I’m comfortable working with the mechanical aspects of the car, but the body work is something that I will eventually need to have done by someone else. Let me know if you guys have any tips and what to look for or avoid when purchasing. Thank you in advance and I look forward to reading and learning from your forum!!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
welcome to the nova site. i wanted a 66 because i had one back in 70-72 an sold that one when i got drafted. well it took 40 plus years to find the one i wanted. every seller wanted top dollar an i wanted to pay the low dollar. i looked far an close, finally found one i liked 3 hours away. it now sits in my garage waiting on spring. an i looked at alot of novas on the internet. but ill say my best tip to you is find the nicest body you can find as that is the very most work an cost to get the body right. the rest is mostly nuts an bolts restore. the best of luck fining what you want.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
:welcome: from Texas, best of luck on your search.

Good advice from Redrider66ss, "find the nicest body you can find as that is the very most work an cost to get the body right. the rest is mostly nuts an bolts restore'.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,849 Posts
Welcome to SNS

from Chino Valley, Arizona
(all that SNOW has melted away --- all 2 feet of it)

back to nice & sunny today ..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the great advice and the warm welcomes!! It may take a little bit of time for me to find the right one, but will be well worth it in the long run. At least it will give me some time to learn all that I can about the Nova from this forum! Thanks again!!

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
:waving:Welcome from Wisconsin! :horse: Pics when you find one? Good advice so far, and remember that cars driven in the rust belt will probably be in a little rougher shape unless somebody has already done the restoration work. Get your post count up so you can use the classifieds here, then post in the "Wanted" section. Also check the "For Sale". You can PM a seller if you're not able to post in the classifieds yet. Just about everybody wants a '66 or '67, and they do come at a premium. 3rd gens are newer and more plentiful. Good choice by the way! Check out this thread, post in it and join our 3rd gen social group.
https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630617

·
Premium Member
5,544 Posts
Always great to see another Omaha'n on the site!
Always great to be on the search! good look let me know if there is anything I can do to help...

Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What are everyone’s thoughts on this 72 Nova? I really like the bucket seats and the 3 speed manual tranny. I messaged the seller and he is going to take some more pictures for me. He said to get it running I would need a fuel pump, drain the old gas, basic tune up, battery and tires. It sounds like a lot, but the prices for these parts are so cheap compared to my 4Runner! I can do all of that work on my own. I noticed some rust above the rear wheel wells. Obviously, it would need paint and the interior redone. Eventually, I will be replacing the motor, transmission and rear end. But, if I could just get it running I would be very happy. I’m going to try to get my 7 and 9 year old daughters to help me out with whatever I get. My 17 year old daughter has zero interest whatsoever!! What does everyone think about the price of $8900? I will not pay that much, but would like some opinions on a fair price for this or a good starting point. It is about 7 hours away from me and I would have to tow it home with my 4Runner. Thanks for everyone’s help so far!! I checked out that one website, but it seems to be cars already restored and I look forward to doing the work myself. Thanks again!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In case, the picture doesn’t show up it’s a 1972 Nova 2 door, 350, 3spd manual. It’s at Naperville Auto Haus Classic Cars if you would like to look it up and let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
i watched their vid of the nova. an the wheel well/quarters have a good amount of rust. if it's that rusty in those places is also going to have hidden rust in the lower cowl/inner front fender. these areas are a challenge to fix unless your a body repair guy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for thoughts on the rust! I really appreciate you taking the time to look at it. I don’t have any experience with body work. I will have to have someone do that part of the restoration for me. I really like the 3spd on the floor and the bucket seats. After looking at values from NADA and other comparables, I think it is very overpriced. I found a 69 with a 350, Turbo350 trans, ps, pb that supposedly runs good for around $10k. It’s so difficult to make decisions when the Nova’s are around 7 hours away. Thanks again for your help and let me know if you have any more insight to help me out!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts