Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
So I have been thinking about getting a Nova to restore for a long time and I think the time has finally come. Ive got $2,500 saved up and ready to buy.
I am looking at this Nova on Craiglist and it would be really cool if some guys more in the scene could take a look and tell me if its worth the $2500, he is willing to drive 6 hours to where I live to show me, so he is confident in it mechanically especially because I live in the Rocky Mountains and he assured me there are NO leaks anywhere, which is a big promise for an old car.
Also if the 4 speed muncie or a th350 better for holding value and power
Thanks so much in advance for any advice

Here is the link to the Nova I am interested in.
http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/3155916932.html

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Doesn't look too bad from pictures. But did not see the trunk pan or floor pans . Engine looks good( clean) if it is not full of rust it may be a ok.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thanks sevenzeronova. I asked him to take detailed pictures tonite of undercarriage and inside of wheel wells. I think I will have him drive out this sunday :D

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
For 2500 that car looks pretty good. Check the floor pans and trunk to make sure there is no holes in it, and if there are you make your decision from there.

Is it a complete car, ie trim, radio etc.

He said he had the front suspension rebuilt along with the rear suspension. Look at the bushings to see if they are new.

Looks like there is rust on the quarter panels. wheel wells.

Best of all it says he is willing to take CASH OFFERs. Which means he is willing to take less.:D

·
Registered
531 Posts
Looks good for the price. Bargain to 2,000 so that you can save money for floor and trunk pans if needed. I would go for it. Period. Nothing better than the rush of having a true classic muscle car on its way to resto my friend. Good freaking luck.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Be careful with that trans though. My turbo 350 had the same problem and it completely crapped out on me one day. With it having trouble going into reverse it could die eventually. That would mean either getting it rebuilt or buying a new transmission.

I put a shift kit into my nova transmission and I have a hard time believing that someone screwed it up to the point reverse doesn't work, especially periodically, because they are simple to install.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes its a complete car, I received the pictures and the rust doesnt look horrible I think Im going to buy it then, if $2500 doesnt sound like a bad price, I dont mind paying the full $2500 if the car is worth it, plus he is taking it 6 hours to my door step.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Looks like a good clean car.

Like everyone else said look at the floors, Quarters, wheel houses, trunk and interior parts.

73-74 most of the interior is not re-popped. The trunk pan is not either. Most other body panels and such are the same as other years only need slight modifications to work.

For the price and if the guy is willing to drive that far to have you look at it. its worth a serious look and take your time. IMO if he is willing to drive that far he isn't going to drive it back he is expecting you to buy it.

Good luck and hope to see you posting soon.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Welcome to the site. It would be really good if you could do a compression and leak down test. Also smell and check the color of the trans fluid to see if its burn't. If its dexron trans fluid it should be red. Do a couple hard brake stops also to see if it stops resonably straight. Just remember when you wheel and deal with the guy start low and go from there.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
It is in Colorado so there IS rust for sure, just make sure it ain't super bad. If it were me I would wait till you have a little more money and buy a 68-72, much more desirable!!!:yes:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Thats what i thought also but I didn't know that there was trim there on those years

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So that guy bailed on me..
And Ive decided to keep saving for a 68-71. Im located in the rockies on Colorado so if anyone around selling a 68-71 2 door haller at me.
Thanks for all your advice guys

1 - 20 of 30 Posts